Duck labored breathing

Thank you! She seems to be getting better. No egg, and I wouldn't say she's 100% yet, but it's definitely much much better. Thanks again ❤️

She's the same 😔 Never laid an egg - and I don't think she's egg bound anymore. She hasn't been laying consistently in a while, since the bumblefoot.

I read about Baytril 10 on another thread and we got some, it just came today. Since she's still breathing funny (today a tad worse, actually ☹️), I figured I'd try that.

I found a dose of 10mg/0.1ml per kilo /0.05ml per pound. But I can't find it if this is once or twice a day. Do you happen to know??

Thanks for asking BTW ❤️ I'm broken hearted that she's not getting better.....

She's the same 😔 Never laid an egg - and I don't think she's egg bound anymore. She hasn't been laying consistently in a while, since the bumblefoot.

I read about Baytril 10 on another thread and we got some, it just came today. Since she's still breathing funny (today a tad worse, actually ☹️), I figured I'd try that.

I found a dose of 10mg/0.1ml per kilo /0.05ml per pound. But I can't find it if this is once or twice a day. Do you happen to know??

Thanks for asking BTW ❤️ I'm broken hearted that she's not getting better.....
Twice a day for 5-7 days, no longer.

If you think it is respiratory, it will likely best to take her into a vet if you can. I can't remember if you have an avian vet or not. If it is fungal, you will need a vet. If it bacterial, doxycycline is actually a better drug for respiratory infections. You will find the the baytril helps, but won't get rid of it.

Thank you. We have an avian vet but it's far away from us, and super expensive.
She's throwing me for a loop though. Could labored breathing be related to molting? She had lost some feathers a couple of weeks ago (noticeable on her neck mostly), but in the last day or so she's lost some big wing feathers! She's only 1 so that's my first experience with molting....

Attachments

• 16604506686834469285526396436083.jpg
    16604506686834469285526396436083.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 2
Thank you. We have an avian vet but it's far away from us, and super expensive.
She's throwing me for a loop though. Could labored breathing be related to molting? She had lost some feathers a couple of weeks ago (noticeable on her neck mostly), but in the last day or so she's lost some big wing feathers! She's only 1 so that's my first experience with molting....
Yeah. Expensive and long distance can make it hard to see a vet.

So ducks will either go through a hard molt or a soft molt. The soft molters are hard to tell they are even molting. Sounds like yours is a hard molt. Sometimes their wings can almost look bare during a hard molt. That is perfectly normal, but it does take a lot of protein to grow new feathers. Some of supplement extra protein during this time. Dried cat food is a good way to add extra protein.

I have never seen it cause issues with breathing, but that doesn't mean it can't. It is pretty normal for them to stop laying when they molt.

I'm sorry your still seeing labored breathing with your duck. Hopefully if it's respiratory the Baytril will help clear it up.
Hows her appetite? Any other symptoms like discharge from nares or eyes? coughing or rattling in her breathing?

Thanks for responding. Her appetite has been down the last few days. And she's not even drinking much since yesterday. She's always had eye issues - in fact when we first got her she had pink eye, but one of her eyes had issues and a discharge a few weeks ago. I used Terramycin and Vetericyn eye wash and it seems to have cleared up but she is still somewhat keeping it closed (but can open it normally when she wants to).
As for nasal discharge - I have found her clogged a couple of times and got her cleared up immediately. Right now she's not. She's just not swimming as much we've been treating the bumblefoot and most recently all the other stuff. 😔
As for coughing- I don't hear it often, mostly if she is eating of kinda chokes. I'm not sure what the rattling would be.

Back
Top Bottom