Duck labored breathing

How long ago did you start adding DE to their shaving? Diatomaceous Earth can very easily cause respiratory issues. It is so powdery/dusty that even walking across the bedding can kick it up, they inhale and the particles get stuck in their lungs.

How long ago did you start adding DE to their shaving? Diatomaceous Earth can very easily cause respiratory issues. It is so powdery/dusty that even walking across the bedding can kick it up, they inhale and the particles get stuck in their lungs.
Interesting. It's very recent and I guess timing could possibly line up.

She's been removed from the DE / coop for just over a week now. Would it have gotten better by now? Or is this because it could have got in her lungs so now it takes more time?

She has ups and downs with the labored breathing. Today looks a bit better... but sure if it's the Baytril or anything else.

Interesting. It's very recent and I guess timing could possibly line up.

She's been removed from the DE / coop for just over a week now. Would it have gotten better by now? Or is this because it could have got in her lungs so now it takes more time?

She has ups and downs with the labored breathing. Today looks a bit better... but sure if it's the Baytril or anything else.
@HollowOfWisps good catch. I totally missed the DE. Permethrine is a better way to go in the future.

For the DE, yes and no to would it have gotten better. If it was just the DE, it could be getting better by now. Birds are more sensitive to things in the air and DE could become an irritant. The irritant may have allowed something else to get hold. She is molting, dealing with bumblefoot, reduced bathing and an potential irritant, all together those would make it easy for an infection to occur.

Hollowofwisps may have some other thoughts on this as well.

@HollowOfWisps good catch. I totally missed the DE. Permethrine is a better way to go in the future.

For the DE, yes and no to would it have gotten better. If it was just the DE, it could be getting better by now. Birds are more sensitive to things in the air and DE could become an irritant. The irritant may have allowed something else to get hold. She is molting, dealing with bumblefoot, reduced bathing and an potential irritant, all together those would make it easy for an infection to occur.

Hollowofwisps may have some other thoughts on this as well.
I agree. Between a low immune system from fighting the staph infection, molting and stress, if she inhaled any DE the combination could definitely cause a full on respiratory infection. When particles get in the lungs and the lungs cannot clear them naturally they can easily progress into issues such as bronchitis and pneumonia. In the videos the labored breathing actually look like gasping to me and if you look at her chest down through her abdomen you can see what they call "pulling" both are symptoms of pneumonia.

I agree. Between a low immune system from fighting the staph infection, molting and stress, if she inhaled any DE the combination could definitely cause a full on respiratory infection. When particles get in the lungs and the lungs cannot clear them naturally they can easily progress into issues such as bronchitis and pneumonia. In the videos the labored breathing actually look like gasping to me and if you look at her chest down through her abdomen you can see what they call "pulling" both are symptoms of pneumonia.
Agree with everything you said.

Would you agree the best course of action is the antibiotic then? We are doing the Baytril and ordered the doxy, but I don't want to miss anything because I hadn't thought of it (like the DE!).

Edited to add: she is not breathing like that anymore, unless she's working harder physically, like when she had a bath yesterday. But it got better shortly after. I feel like there's been an improvement, but I'm still learning.... ☹️

Agree with everything you said.

Would you agree the best course of action is the antibiotic then? We are doing the Baytril and ordered the doxy, but I don't want to miss anything because I hadn't thought of it (like the DE!).

Edited to add: she is not breathing like that anymore, unless she's working harder physically, like when she had a bath yesterday. But it got better shortly after. I feel like there's been an improvement, but I'm still learning.... ☹️
If she starts to improve on the baytril, you will know you are on the right track. If you see no improvement at all on baytril, it may not be bacterial. I would expect to see some improvement by day 3 of antibiotics.

Luke warm baths will help her get gunk out of her lungs, which is likely why she was doing better after them. I would probably do baths twice a day if it is possible.

If she starts to improve on the baytril, you will know you are on the right track. If you see no improvement at all on baytril, it may not be bacterial. I would expect to see some improvement by day 3 of antibiotics.

Luke warm baths will help her get gunk out of her lungs, which is likely why she was doing better after them. I would probably do baths twice a day if it is possible.
UPDATE: I gave her a bath yesterday but she didn't feel like playing much. The breathing wasnt bad, but she kinda just sat there. ☹️

However I'm happy to say I'm seeing a significant improvement today! 👏🏻 She's back to drinking, even splashing a little, and I even saw her nibble at the food too! I added a little bit of dog food for extra protein.

We have been giving her the Baytril and a few syringes full of water with the electrolytes and the probiotics. I think it's working! The bumblefoot looked better yesterday too. We're still waiting on the doxy.... I guess we'll see if she'll need it by then.

Today is day 3 on the Baytril (we started Sunday night), so we still have a few more days to go. Here's to hoping she keeps improving!! 🤞🏻

Thanks again for all your help! ❤️

Fish doxycycline will work. It is the exact same drug.
Hi again everyone!

I received the doxy today. She is on Day 4 of the Baytril (we started Saturday evening). She has ups and downs but I don't think the Baytril has done much the respiratory issue. The bumblefoot looks a lot better.

Can I give the doxy AND the Baytril together? Do I finish the Baytril tomorrow (day 5) and then switch? Or just switch now to address the respiratory issues (which are more pressing)?

Also, the doxy instructions are just how much to give it in the drinking water. Her drinking has been on and off, so I don't trust that she'd get enough in.

What is the doxy dosage/ how many timer per day? Does anyone know?

Thank you all so much ❤️❤️

Attachments

• 16608393891102698184106809104916.jpg
    16608393891102698184106809104916.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 16608394077646191102427733279023.jpg
    16608394077646191102427733279023.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom