1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck laying on eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluck92, Oct 10, 2014.

1. cluck92

cluck92 In the Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    Found out why all the male ducks were inside the coop today, the female was laying on a nest. I didn't even know she had started laying! She hid her nest under the metal nesting boxes but today I found her. However when I took a closer look at the eggs I noticed an odor.... How can I tell which of the eggs are rotten?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are the drakes leaving her alone? I would find an opportunity with her off the nest and pick them up and sniff them.

One could have burst - happened to us, I was able to clean it up with not much effort, then rebuild the nest.

3. cluck92

cluck92 In the Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    They left her alone while she was nesting but after I found her she ran outside and then didn't return to the nest. Am I able to touch them in order to smell them and she will still return to lay on them? And how do I know if the egg is alive and will hatch or if it's been sitting too long?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Often BYC DF members will pick up eggs, examine, candle, and replace them and a broody duck will continue to sit on the nest. The biggest problems are when the nest itself must be moved for safety reasons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: