Duck laying on eggs!

cluck92

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
Found out why all the male ducks were inside the coop today, the female was laying on a nest. I didn't even know she had started laying! She hid her nest under the metal nesting boxes but today I found her. However when I took a closer look at the eggs I noticed an odor.... How can I tell which of the eggs are rotten?

Are the drakes leaving her alone? I would find an opportunity with her off the nest and pick them up and sniff them.

One could have burst - happened to us, I was able to clean it up with not much effort, then rebuild the nest.

They left her alone while she was nesting but after I found her she ran outside and then didn't return to the nest. Am I able to touch them in order to smell them and she will still return to lay on them? And how do I know if the egg is alive and will hatch or if it's been sitting too long?

Often BYC DF members will pick up eggs, examine, candle, and replace them and a broody duck will continue to sit on the nest. The biggest problems are when the nest itself must be moved for safety reasons.

Back
Top Bottom