Duck leg formed wrong in egg?

hkisch2014

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Shafer, MN
My hatch, that i screwed up on, is hatching. I have 17 ducklings out and happy but one of them has a leg that is completely behind it and toes curled up. I have already tried putting the bandaid around the legs to pull them under its body but the muscles in the funky leg are pulling the good leg backwards...any other suggestions to help this one?
20210419_091513.jpg

My hatch, that i screwed up on, is hatching. I have 17 ducklings out and happy but one of them has a leg that is completely behind it and toes curled up. I have already tried putting the bandaid around the legs to pull them under its body but the muscles in the funky leg are pulling the good leg backwards...any other suggestions to help this one?View attachment 2624611
The duckling is adorable...but that leg and foot look pretty bad. My guess just from the photo is that it may be a congenital deformity. I'm honestly not sure how effective it will be, but I'd still try to train the foot to come into a more normal position, and time is of the essence. This site has approaches you may want to consider. I'd also start offering a poultry vitamin supplement in case a deficiency is present.

As the duckling grows, the leg may become stronger and more usable; on the other hand, it may not. Are you ok with raising a potentially disabled duck? There are many threads on BYC if that's of interest.

ETA: did you also check for possible slipped tendon?

Best wishes for your little one.

The duckling is adorable...but that leg and foot look pretty bad. My guess just from the photo is that it may be a congenital deformity. I'm honestly not sure how effective it will be, but I'd still try to train the foot to come into a more normal position, and time is of the essence. This site has approaches you may want to consider. I'd also start offering a poultry vitamin supplement in case a deficiency is present.

As the duckling grows, the leg may become stronger and more usable; on the other hand, it may not. Are you ok with raising a potentially disabled duck? There are many threads on BYC if that's of interest.

Hey! Yes. I am okay with raising it. I had another one come out with a twisted neck and we have them off to the side in their own container as to not get trampled by the others. Our twisted neck one is coming along nicely, it has started to become more straight (if that makes sense). I gave them electrolytes and vitamins along with some brewers yeast in their food to get them going. Hopefully they both make great recoveries.

How do i check for slipped tendon?

Back
Top Bottom