Duck leg is swollen

Joel Brasier

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
I noticed today that one of my ducks was limping. His leg is swollen almost three times as big as normal. I will get a picture of it tomorrow. I don’t know if he was bitten by a snake or if it is bumblefoot. I am going to try treating it with epsom salt and let him soak it in that. Is there anything else I can do to help treat it?

Sorry to hear about your duck.

Some more information about your duck and your setup would be helpful.

How old is this duck, can he put any weight on the leg, have you checked for any sign of Bumblefoot on the hock joint or footpad, what are they being fed, was this very sudden, or did the progression of the limp get worse over time, can you flex all joints properly, could you post a video or picture of the duck and his leg?

Sorry to hear about your duck.

Some more information about your duck and your setup would be helpful.

How old is this duck, can he put any weight on the leg, have you checked for any sign of Bumblefoot on the hock joint or footpad, what are they being fed, was this very sudden, or did the progression of the limp get worse over time, can you flex all joints properly, could you post a video or picture of the duck and his leg?

I don’t know how old the duck is. I picked him up from a lady that her neighbors got and he ended up on her pond and she didn’t want him on her pond.

I noticed him limping this evening but I had to run somewhere and couldn’t get a picture. I will provide a picture in a couple of hours and I couldn’t check for bumblefoot. I will check when the sun comes up so I can see better.

As for food, I feed my ducks layer pellets.

It came on sudden. He was struggling to put weight on it.

I will catch him when the sun comes up and check his joints, get a video and a picture of it to better help in this matter.

Very recently, one of my girl khakis had a similar situation, very swollen ankle, limping heavily. I feared infection or broken ankle.

i took her to the vet, and after exam and X-ray, he determined it was a sprain. Compression bandages anti inflammatory and 2 days isolation and she was back to normal.

I’d recommend a vet visit if you can do so.

Back
Top Bottom