Duck leg

oshaut

Hatching
Nov 9, 2015
Hello my name is Olivia. My ducks were fighting alittle this morning because of mating season. I have 2 male ducks. I went to break them up and may have stepped on the ones foot. I also held him for a while in a towel and he was better when I let him down but was limping again bad after alittle. What do I do? Is it broken? I hope it's ok I love my ducks and want the best for them.

Hi Olivia and
welcome-byc.gif

First don't beat yourself up as accidents happen. Pick him up again and thoroughly check his feet and feel around for a possible break. If he is walking (limping) on it then it's probably pretty bruised and may swell. Separate him for a while so he is forced to rest and not run around on it. If you notice any swelling then you can have him soak in a tub of Epsom salts to help bring down any swelling - Don't let him drink the water with Epsom salts as it acts as a laxative - so you'll have to sit with him so he doesn't try and drink it.

If, after an exam, you feel it is broken then let us know so we can direct you to further instructions on how to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom