Duck limping and leg issue

bunkerhomestead

Chirping
Sep 6, 2018
Hello friends, I have a Welsh Harlequin that I noticed had a slight limp about 3 weeks ago. I checked her and no bumble foot, no heat in the legs and so I've been keeping an eye on her. There has been no change in her gait and she seems fine and is eating well. About 4 days ago, I noticed her right leg seemed swollen, so I picked her up and felt the leg. It was warmer than the other leg and slightly swollen. She didn't seem to have any pain as I touched her. I've been giving her Arnica (anti inflammatory) by mouth and rubbing Arnica ointment on her leg once per day. Again, she doesn't seem to be in pain when I touch her and rub the ointment on her leg. She is not any better or any worse. Is there anything you suggest I should do other than what I'm already doing. Thanks so much for your help.

Could you try to get a video of her walking around, so we can get an idea of the severity of her limp? Pictures up-close, of the swelled part, and her foot pads may prove beneficial.

Leg problems are a big part of duck keeping. Whether it be trauma to the leg, infection nutritional deficiencies, or deformities, ducks, especially heavier breeds tend to suffer very frequently from leg-related issues. Generally, injures tend to resolve themselves after a week or two, but if not cared for properly can worsen. Abrasions or calluses on the leg can act as an open-gate for bacteria to enter and cause issues like septic arthritis, or osteomyelitis.

Treatment will vary will the suspected problem, but as a basic treatment, you can move the duck into a soft padded pen area that reduces her movement, so she doesn't further injure the leg. Ensuring she is getting to bathe in water daily is important to relive the weight off her legs, and reduce swelling. Epsom salts can be added to the water for greater effect. Adding B vitamins into her diet, and flax seeds can help strengthen leg bones, and act as an anti-inflammatory.

Thank you Issac. It is not allowing me to attach a video file. I can try and take some stills tomorrow, but it won't show her limp in action. I will put her in a cage with straw in the duck yard so she can be with pals but restrict movement. Their baby pool is done for the winter as I've just turned off the garden hoses. I gave her nutridrench this morning in addition to the Arnica I've been doing. Let me know if there is a way for me to post a video here. Thanks again .

Thank you Issac. It is not allowing me to attach a video file. I can try and take some stills tomorrow, but it won't show her limp in action. I will put her in a cage with straw in the duck yard so she can be with pals but restrict movement. Their baby pool is done for the winter as I've just turned off the garden hoses. I gave her nutridrench this morning in addition to the Arnica I've been doing. Let me know if there is a way for me to post a video here. Thanks again .

It's a little tricky to post a video here. You can't upload it like a picture, you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link URL here.

Back
Top Bottom