Duck limping. help, please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcorb, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kcorb

kcorb New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    Hi,

I have a 4 year old male mallard duck.
    In the past week he started limping. We have examined both of his feet and legs, but have found no apparent reason for the limping. He tries not to put weight on his right foot, and only swims using his left. A few times he has just plopped down and tried to paddle his way around on the ground. Otherwise he does all his usual behavior, bossing his fellow duck around, and eating. He does try to keep up with the other duck for dabbling but has some trouble.

Please reply soon!
    Katherine

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer soon.

I've read ducks can have leg issues, but thankfully none of my runner ducks have had a problem. Sounds as if it has been an ongoing issue for him. Can't imagine other than he has pulled something he shouldn't have .... is it possible to be out of socket ??

Here is an exerpt from a site online :::
    Leg injuries occur most often when ducks are entering or exiting the water. Provide a ramp with good traction or wide, sturdy steps to get both in and out of water safely. Wire cages are also a common source of injury. Cover all exposed wire flooring (see shelter for details).

Bumble foot has symptoms of swelling, redness and possible infection. Get a vet's advise when symptoms first appear. Also, some illnesses such as Botulism, Pasteurella and poisoning can cause weakness and appear to be a leg problem.

Ducks often raise one leg and sleep while standing. This is normal behavior. Injuries to toes and feet, limping or sores can be signs of a serious problem and should be treated by a qualified veterinarian.

http://www.liveducks.com/care.html

Julie

3. kcorb

kcorb New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for the advice.
    It must have happened some time last week. My best bet is he did pull something while coming in, or going out of the water. He is a bit of a clumsy old oaf and usually hurls himself at incoming the ramp to the pond or other objects that stand in his way.
    We have made an appointment to see a vet this coming monday. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Will post more information soon.

4. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your duck. I have rehabbed several adult ducks with leg injuries. Of course, they come in to us with their injuries so no idea how they occurred. But a few weeks of confinement in a small cage thereby limiting movement helps. They also get physio in a warm tub each day. (That's right....my bathtub....much to my husband's dismay).

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not sure what caused it, but I had the same problem with my female cayuga a few months ago. I don't know what she did, I couldn't find anything visibly wrong with her. She was limping pretty badly for about a week or so, but eventually she got better. I hope your guy is okay.

6. kcorb

kcorb New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you for all the advice and help.
    Roger is doing much better. I've been keeping him in a smaller cage for a few days. His leg improved and now seems to have fully healed. By the time Monday came around for the appointment at the vet, there was little need for it. I will keep an eye on him and if he limps again, isolate him in the same way.
    We built a new ramp for their pool. It it much easier for them to climb in without slipping. I would strongly recommend for all duck owners to make sure their ducks have a study, easy to use ramp for entering pools or huts.

Katherine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by