Duck Limping with no signs of injury

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,
Closing up my ladies tonight notice one of my girls (Campbell) was limping quite noticeably/ holding her foot aloft to not bear weight on it while standing. She was totally fine this morning with no signs of leg issues or gait changes. She also has not laid today.

I inspected her underfoot, no signs of bumble foot or any external injury that could be causing discomfort or pain. Still curls her toes to clutch my finger, and didn’t seem bothered by me stroking/prodding it.

What do I do? They are on a great diet and have access to clean water & kiddie pool to swim)
Right now, my plan of attack in the AM is:

1. I’m adding electrolytes to their waterers tomorrow it was hotter/humid today so I wanna re-hydrate them the best I can.

2. I’m mashing peas to give with 1 mL of B vitamin complex as a treat to bolster her.

I can’t really afford a vet visit with her, and I only have 3 ducks, so if I move her into a ‘ ‘hospital wing’ in my garage I’m worried she’s gonna get very sad (and her two companions will miss her).

1/3 their enclosure is pea gravel, is it possible she burned her foot on hot gravel? (85 today with a high UV index) I did spray it down at noon too- but the other 2 ducks are fine.

Please any advice is welcome I’m so worried.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I don't think the gravel gets too hot but have you tried standing on it barefoot to make sure? As long as they have some shade she may have twisted it just like people do and it hurts for a little while. I've had ducks that limped for a day or two, and then they were fine, I figure they just twisted their foot walking on an uneven ground area or something

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I don't think the gravel gets too hot but have you tried standing on it barefoot to make sure? As long as they have some shade she may have twisted it just like people do and it hurts for a little while. I've had ducks that limped for a day or two, and then they were fine, I figure they just twisted their foot walking on an uneven ground area or something
I have stood on it barefoot and surface temp checked it before. Passes the back of the hand 10 second test too on hot days. They do have shade and grass/mud area.
I’m hoping it’s a simple sprain not a more serious issue (infection). Her foot didn’t feel hot or look super swollen anywhere.

I have vet wrap, would it help the wrap the leg for stabilization? Is there a part of her leg I shouldn’t cover if I do?
She was ZOOMing this morning, so maybe she over did it climbing kiddie pool steps or hit a divet in the dirt wrong?

Should I quarantine her to reduce her movement or give it a day or so? I just don’t want her to become sad missing her pals

When I quarantine a duck, I bring a friend inside with them for at least part of the time. but you have 3 so if you bring a friend then the other one would be alone ?
i think use a large dog crate so she can sit and rest in it but still be with her friends . take her out to give her swimming time as much as you can.​

When I quarantine a duck, I bring a friend inside with them for at least part of the time. but you have 3 so if you bring a friend then the other one would be alone ?
i think use a large dog crate so she can sit and rest in it but still be with her friends . take her out to give her swimming time as much as you can.​
I have a large dog crate, I can set up inside their enclosure in the shade so she can see her friends. Would you recommend I do that to see if her limp improves? They usually swim first thing in the morning I’m not sure she’ll be able to get in/out of the pool rn without my assistance.
Doesn’t help that all 3 are not super keen on being man-handled by me too haha

I have a large dog crate, I can set up inside their enclosure in the shade so she can see her friends. Would you recommend I do that to see if her limp improves? They usually swim first thing in the morning I’m not sure she’ll be able to get in/out of the pool rn without my assistance.
Doesn’t help that all 3 are not super keen on being man-handled by me too haha
i think if she still limping badly in the morning i'd put her in the crate to let her rest at least for the morning and then check on her in the afternoon maybe put her in the pool see how she's doing. 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom