Duck lost its voice/quack?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by felicity5, Nov 15, 2012.

1. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    I have two 9 week old ducks one is a pekin and I'm unsure about the other, He is smaller, brown with slight green on his head and a emerald green/blue under his wing.

Tonight it seems the brown duck has suddenly lost his voice/quack. It's like a whisper. It can still eat/drink the same and it doesnt look like its in pain.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anything I should check?

Thankyou :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, saying the duck lost its quack does not fit with this possible reason, but most ducks that reach maturity and whisper instead of quack are drakes.

Was that the lovely brown duck you shared a photo of on another thread? It looked a bit like it had a greenish hood, another possible drake "symptom" [​IMG]. It would be a while, I reckon, before you see a curly drake feather.

3. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I agree with Amiga, sounds like you have a boy.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    This always happens before a boy duck get it's quack. It voice will go really soft (always as if he had lost his voice) for a little while. Within a few weeks should get his full quack (which is still more raspy that the girls, but is a little louder)

5. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Thank you all !
    I was a little worried :)

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's a good sign that you were a little worried. Means you are paying attention, and that you care.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by