Duck lost voice, breathing issue and green poop.

Andirae76

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
Hello , I have a 4 week old Welsh Harlequin (Harley) and 3 days ago she sounded like she was losing her voice. We read that this can happen when they are getting their quack and she was acting fine otherwise so we didn’t think anything else of it.
The next day she had completely lost her voice and though her energy level was still ok, she was struggling to breathe and it sounded like gurgles when she took a breath and she wasn’t dunking her head to clean when she swam. She’s usually pretty feisty and hard to keep still but she let me hold her and stroke her quietly so I knew something was wrong.
We separated her from the flock (7 other ducks in brooder ) and brought her inside. That night she was open mouth breathing the whole time and clearly struggling. Called the emergency vet and they said we were doing the right thing to keep her separate with clean food and water etc for the night until a local vet could see her.
The next morning she was a bit better , still struggling a bit to breathe but not open mouth panting , regardless we got an appointment (yesterday) with a vet on another town (who knew that duck vets are hard to find!)
We suspected Aspergillosis even though unsure how (brooder cleaned out completely weekly and fresh litter added daily with water changes 2x a day). No other ducks in the same group are showing any distress.
The vet said Aspergillosis is hard to diagnose and that just treating her with anti fungal if she didn’t have it could do more harm than good(there are also rules in Canada about what drugs food producers can and can’t have). She indicated it could also be a respiratory infection (no other sinus or eye involvement ) and put her on a broad spectrum anti biotic for now. She also couldn’t hear fluid in her breathing when checked.
This morning she has lots of energy but still won’t clean herself when swimming (just sits and drinks the water and dips her bill but won’t dunk her head or swim). And she still has no voice although she opens her mouth to yell so pretty sure she has choice words for me:). She’s back to being squirmy when I hold her as well.
Has anyone had a duck with a respiratory infection that causes these symptoms that seem like Aspergillosis that were cleared with anti biotics? I’m super concerned that we may see a temporary improvement that isn’t actual cure and not sure what damage may be done by delaying anti fungal treatment. I’ve done hours of searching and can’t find anywhere that has the same symptoms that aren’t Aspergillosis.
Any experience or insight would be helpful, thanks

Is she eating, and drinking well?
Could you post a video of her breathing?
Do you have any pictures of her droppings?
There are many conditions in poultry that can cause what you're seeing; often with ducklings, we are worried about aspiration pneumonia, or inhalation of feed/bedding matter into the airways causing obstruction, and subsequent infection. If the brooder environment was kept wet, there is a chance for fungal spore development inside the airways as well.
If she did have aspergillus, you would probably be seeing a decline in her condition, since antibiotics would create a more suitable environment for the fungi by killing any competing bacteria.
Diagnosis of these conditions usually relies on diagnostic testing done by a vet. If you are seeing improvement with the antibiotics, I would suggest continuing on with treatment. If there are problems, it would be best to bring her back to a vet and see if they can do further diagnostic work on her.

Is she eating, and drinking well?
Could you post a video of her breathing?
Do you have any pictures of her droppings?
There are many conditions in poultry that can cause what you're seeing; often with ducklings, we are worried about aspiration pneumonia, or inhalation of feed/bedding matter into the airways causing obstruction, and subsequent infection. If the brooder environment was kept wet, there is a chance for fungal spore development inside the airways as well.
If she did have aspergillus, you would probably be seeing a decline in her condition, since antibiotics would create a more suitable environment for the fungi by killing any competing bacteria.
Diagnosis of these conditions usually relies on diagnostic testing done by a vet. If you are seeing improvement with the antibiotics, I would suggest continuing on with treatment. If there are problems, it would be best to bring her back to a vet and see if they can do further diagnostic work on her.
She's now eating and drinking well every few hours, breathing "seems" to have returned to normal (no longer open mouth, laboured or gurgling). Her poop has already returned to normal other than being dark and a bit muddy in consistency today (looks normal when she goes in the water). her voice has not returned even a little bit and its breaking my heart, she opens her mouth a lot to speak but nothing comes out. I have her swim 2x a day for about 10-15 minutes in a tub, she dunked her head to clean twice yesterday for the first time since this started but other than that just sat and floated and drank some water (and pooped!) her energy level and feistiness has returned and she's as quick as ever trying to get away. the only remaining issues are the voice and the lack of dunking her head swimming. The vet indicated that diagnosing Aspergillosis is almost impossible and easy to get false negatives or positives so didnt go that route and basically tried my luck with anti biotics instead. I'm just super hoping that it is something small and not Aspergillosis and i guess was looking for reassurance that anyone else has had these symptoms and have it not be that. She's on day 2 of the antibiotics and has 5 days so we'll keep her on them. Is there anything natural i can give her that won't conflict with the anti biotics to help her voice come back? she seems so frustrated to not have a voice. thanks :)

Update a few weeks later. Harley pulled through and is doing well though she never really got her voice back. Not sure if it was a fungus that got her vocal chords or if she swallowed something that passed. She’s back with the flock now after isolation and antibiotics and seems to be thriving but quietly. Oh and she may not be a she, obviously with no voice we can’t tell that way but we may see a hint of a drake feather. Thanks all for your notes appreciate it!

Update a few weeks later. Harley pulled through and is doing well though she never really got her voice back. Not sure if it was a fungus that got her vocal chords or if she swallowed something that passed. She’s back with the flock now after isolation and antibiotics and seems to be thriving but quietly. Oh and she may not be a she, obviously with no voice we can’t tell that way but we may see a hint of a drake feather. Thanks all for your notes appreciate it!
Andirae, how is your ducko doing now? I have one with exactly the same issue as you've described...seems otherwise fine, but struggling to speak and her breathing gets hoarse sometimes :(

Andirae, how is your ducko doing now? I have one with exactly the same issue as you've described...seems otherwise fine, but struggling to speak and her breathing gets hoarse sometimes :(
He’s good now(yes she’s a he lol) still doesn’t make much noise but has caught up to the flock in growth etc. I’m still not sure if it was an infection, a fungus or a lodged onject that damaged his voice . It seems he will never be loud either way

Back
Top Bottom