Duck Made A Huge Nest

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
My Khaki Campbell who is about 7months old has been laying for the past month. Today when I went to pick her egg up i saw that the nest was really big. Almost like she made the best to put more eggs in there. I don’t want her to hatch them because I want to ensure her health, don’t have the resources and with 3 drakes I know they will try to kill them. Can I grabe the and break her heart? Is there a way I can do it without braking her heart? I don’t know if she’s even interested in it because she hasnt sat in it and it’s 18F outside so it’s probably frozen
image.jpg

You won't break her heart. Buy a couple of 'nest eggs' and remove and eat the eggs that she lays. If the 3 drakes have access to her that constitutes far more of a problem.
I do have 3 drakes but they are not mean to her. Only one of them will actually mate with her. Sometimes she flirts with my pekins but they usually just flirt back because they know they are too big for her. The only one one that actually mates with her is my Rouen. I just know that if she were to hatch them I would have to spearate the mom with the drakes so the drakes get used to the ducklings. I don’t want to worry about that and I know khakis don’t make great moms.
Will golf balls work?

I do have 3 drakes but they are not mean to her. Only one of them will actually mate with her. Sometimes she flirts with my pekins but they usually just flirt back because they know they are too big for her. The only one one that actually mates with her is my Rouen. I just know that if she were to hatch them I would have to spearate the mom with the drakes so the drakes get used to the ducklings. I don’t want to worry about that and I know khakis don’t make great moms.
Will golf balls work?
Sourlands right to be concerned here. It isn't about who's currently mating with her. Drakes can become very aggressive and will kill a lone female. I just recently witnessed 2 wild drakes drowning a female because they both wanted to mate her. The second one just about ripped her head off. I had to run out to the pond and scare them off her. Even if they aren't going after her now, they will come spring/summer.

Oh no. I feel horrible. I didn’t know they would kill her. I was planning on getting females late may. I would re home but they are all so attached. Even if I take the ones that grew up with each other away from the other two that gre up together they get so stressed out.
I will try to get 2 Pekin females probably in late may. Am I doing the right thing? Please help I don’t want my ducks to hurt each other. I feel like a horrible duck mom right now.:hit

Oh no. I feel horrible. I didn’t know they would kill her. I was planning on getting females late may. I would re home but they are all so attached. Even if I take the ones that grew up with each other away from the other two that gre up together they get so stressed out.
I will try to get 2 Pekin females probably in late may. Am I doing the right thing? Please help I don’t want my ducks to hurt each other. I feel like a horrible duck mom right now.:hit
3 drakes is a lot generally you would want 3-4 girls per boy so 9-12 hens. The amount of mating one drake does is usually too much for 1 hen. But yeah if you separate the boys and the girls you should be fine with 2 more hens

if you have a lot of space 3 drakes 3 hens could work. i have 2 hens 3 drakes but i also keep the older boys separated whenever needed

Thank you all for advice! I never new my ratio would be like this. I wish stores would sex them when people buy them. I definitely did not want to end up with 3 males and one female. I used to have another female but a dog got to her :( Does anyone know where to order online that you can pick quantity and gender? I know tractor supply does it but you have to order 10 if you buy online.

Back
Top Bottom