Duck making noise while breathing - sneezing

Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
I have a female welsh harlequin duck that is 2.3 weeks old. When she breaths, she makes a weird noise and I can hear each time she inhales and exhales. When she puts her head down to drink water, she starts sneezing and gives up on drinking. I noticed it today around 5:30pm when I went to clean their brooder. No other birds are showing these symptoms. There is no visible trauma. I don’t know of anything that could have happened to her. She’s the queen of the ducklings. 👑
She eats Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles and is provided fresh water daily. She seems to be eating normal, just won’t drink due to sneezing. Her poop looks normal, and I have not administered any treatment yet. My intent as far as treatment is to do anything I need to do. Find a vet, or treat her myself. They are on small flake shavings (when they loaded our truck at the feed store, they accidentally gave us small flake. We asked for large)
I tried to get a video, but she just started quacking when I put the phone up. Her quack sounded normal. I’m kind of panicking!!! 😳

ETA: Now that I look at her she does seem to be breathing harder than the others !!

@MGG
@Isaac 0

Last edited:
I have a female welsh harlequin duck that is 2.3 weeks old. When she breaths, she makes a weird noise and I can hear each time she inhales and exhales. When she puts her head down to drink water, she starts sneezing and gives up on drinking. I noticed it today around 5:30pm when I went to clean their brooder. No other birds are showing these symptoms. There is no visible trauma. I don’t know of anything that could have happened to her. She’s the queen of the ducklings. 👑
She eats Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles and is provided fresh water daily. She seems to be eating normal, just won’t drink due to sneezing. Her poop looks normal, and I have not administered any treatment yet. My intent as far as treatment is to do anything I need to do. Find a vet, or treat her myself. They are on small flake shavings (when they loaded our truck at the feed store, they accidentally gave us small flake. We asked for large)
I tried to get a video, but she just started quacking when I put the phone up. Her quack sounded normal. I’m kind of panicking!!! 😳

ETA: Now that I look at her she does seem to be breathing harder than the others !!

@MGG
@Isaac 0

Hi, I am really surprised by this, as I've had the same problem with this about a couple of months ago when I had my newborn Pekin ducks. There was one that would always breathe a lot louder and make a strange wheezing sound. I was never able to figure out what was actually wrong with it, as it died around 2weeks. I really hope you can figure out anything about your duck and hope it gets better🙏🙏

Hi, I am really surprised by this, as I've had the same problem with this about a couple of months ago when I had my newborn Pekin ducks. There was one that would always breathe a lot louder and make a strange wheezing sound. I was never able to figure out what was actually wrong with it, as it died around 2weeks. I really hope you can figure out anything about your duck and hope it gets better🙏🙏
I’m sorry to hear about your baby. ❤️
I’m hoping someone can help me!

I’m not an expert, so I can’t say for sure. But we had a duckling like that, not as bad as yours though. All she needed was to be able to clean her respiratory system. Also, I saw on another thread, there is a slit in the roof of their mouths, you should check there and make sure it isn’t blocked or clogged. Hope she gets better soon!

I’m not an expert, so I can’t say for sure. But we had a duckling like that, not as bad as yours though. All she needed was to be able to clean her respiratory system. Also, I saw on another thread, there is a slit in the roof of their mouths, you should check there and make sure it isn’t blocked or clogged. Hope she gets better soon!
How do I let her clean it? Do I just provide a bowl for her to dunk her head?

Pretty much, although you may have to show her. Ducks always need water deep enough to dunk their heads, so that they can clean their respiratory system, basically like you might flush your nose if you were sick or congested.

As I continue to read and try to come up with what COULD be wrong with her, I saw something on another thread talking about black flies, and that they can carry diseases. Well, I specifically remember her eating a black fly that got into their brooder house around Saturday. Could that be what's wrong with her? If so, what should I do? I really don't want to lose her. I plan on quarantining her once I get home, and giving her some poultry vitamins/electrolytes and setting up a bed for her. (No shavings, just fluffy towels)

Back
Top Bottom