Duck Mating Please Help

kisses10

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
I have 2 Ducks Females and 2 Drakes. I don't know what kind they are. however they are starting to mate but seem to be mating just one duck . they have the back and side of her neck raw . Is this Normal behavior or should I get rid of one Drake or Both . I was told that the Drakes are Mallards. the seller told me they were Hens but the curl on the tail told me other wise and their green heads. Can some one tell me what to do. I have separated the drakes from my females at this current time but they have to have time in the yard and pool right? Please advise me what I need to do

I have 2 Ducks Females and 2 Drakes. I don't know what kind they are. however they are starting to mate but seem to be mating just one duck . they have the back and side of her neck raw . Is this Normal behavior or should I get rid of one Drake or Both . I was told that the Drakes are Mallards. the seller told me they were Hens but the curl on the tail told me other wise and their green heads. Can some one tell me what to do. I have separated the drakes from my females at this current time but they have to have time in the yard and pool right? Please advise me what I need to do
Sometimes drakes will give way too much attention to just one duck as you are seeing with yours. The best ratio for drake to ducks is 1 drake to 2-4 ducks actually the more ducks you can have the better. up to 4. you could keep them away from the ducks the rest of the summer till mating season is over but you'll be back with the same problem in the spring. also drakes can and will drown a duck so watch them if they are all together in the pool.
welcome-byc.gif
you could possibly keep both drakes if you can get them more ducks and give this one that is hurt time to heal.

Thank you so much., Ive separated the drakes from my females, and im going to try to get rid of the drakes, or keep atleast one, could you tell me how long does it take after mating will she lay her eggs?

Thank you so much., Ive separated the drakes from my females, and im going to try to get rid of the drakes, or keep atleast one, could you tell me how long does it take after mating will she lay her eggs?
usually with in a month you should have some eggs. Since mallards are seasonal layers though it maybe next spring before you see any eggs. Hopefully someone who has Mallards will weigh in on this since I have Muscovy's and my young ones are not mating or laying yet and my adults aren't mating or laying anymore they are through for the year.

Kisses, what Miss Lydia told you is very true. I am thinking your ducks hatched back in the Spring this year? If so, your females might just now be getting ready to start laying, but they'll likely stop or reduce frequency over the winter. The mating doesn't really affect the timing of the laying, does that make sense?

The very best thing for you to do is buy some blue Kote to the raw areas of your duck's neck, and do keep the drakes separated from the ducks. Personally I would eliminate the most aggressive drake from my flock, right away. While it is normal behavior for ducks, excessive tends to border on aggressive. So I'd just get rid of that one.

If you could get a clearer pic especially of their faces, we maybe able to help you on breed. Yes Blue kote is really great for wounds but be careful because it will turn purple anything it touches including your hands.

Back
Top Bottom