Duck mating with chooks

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
At the moment I have a runner drake, a Rouen duck, a Rouen x appleyard duck and a drake from the appleyard and runner. These are my mature ducks. I‘ve also got 4 young ones who I know 2 are definitely a girl. The other 2 I don’t know yet. I’ve also got some eggs in the bator from the rouen. The appleyard x runner drake is going in the freezer because of angel wing. But we’re getting a pure bred Rouen drake to breed for the table.

We’ve got 5 chooks. 4 ISA brown and one Australorp X New Hampshire. The drake isn’t harras the A x NH but is trying to mate with the smaller chooks. Is there anything I can do? The younger ones should be ready soon. Just this morning I was watching one of the girls showing off her moves. We’re getting rid of any drakes from this batch plus the ones in the incubator now.

I think the girls might've sorted it out themselves. I heard a commotion and had a look and they were kicking him to Timbuctoo! I'm going to keep an eye on them but I'm pretty sure they know how to fix him now. I'm getting rid of one them for christmas. He's not the one that's causing the problems but maybe with him gone the other drake can just look after his ducks. I'm also getting a rooster soon so hopefully he can sort him out a bit too.

Thanks for the advice!

Well good luck with that. I don't know how you would keep an eye on them 24/7. I know I can't. I have 3 drakes. 2 are in a separate area because I can't bring myself to part with them. My main drake lives with his flock of ducks. I also have chickens and a 5 month cockerel. The chickens and ducks are separate and have separate housing. The other day I opened the separating fence while cleaning to let the main flocks mingle if they wanted. The cockerel saw the drake and the drake saw the cockerel, immediately they were in a fighting stare down and circling one another. My drake most likely would have damaged the cockerel severely if I didn't step in and separate all back to there own area. Drakes and roosters are no match. Somehow they still know that although different they are male. They will fight and most likely the drake will win.

Back
Top Bottom