1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck mauled last night by gfs dog, need advice for moving on.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by khakisilkiedad3, Jul 27, 2016.

1. khakisilkiedad3

khakisilkiedad3 New Egg

Jul 27, 2016
    For the sake of my now lonely female (Dill) I know I need to get her a new buddy. My couple are khaki campbells and my male (Pickle) was killed last night when my girlfriends dog got in the coop. Now, I raised them both from about a week old along with 6 white silkies and 4 polish arucanas. They were all best buddies and I had been wanting ducks for at least 10 years finally got em and three months later this happened. I'm seeing a single female khaki for sale and also two males. Would it be better to go with the female this year and get two males next year because I want to incubate and stuff. Or should I get the female and both males now n call it a day? I dont want the new ducks beating up on my chickens because they are in a coop and run together all day.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd get her a female buddy for now give her a chance to grow up before bringing in the drakes and 1 drake to at least 2 females but 2-4 to 1 drake is better. @khakisilkiedad3

Very sorry to hear about your duck being killed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by