Duck memory/help me get my ducks home!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Dec 29, 2011.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi everybody. As I noted in a different post I had some dogs attacked my flock on Christmas day. Two ducks survived unharmed but they've left home. They're over at the neighbor's yard, down a steep hill, in a year round pond. Basically my property backs on to a green space. I've been going over there throwing them corn to try to get them to come back home and they're vaguely interested. Today I got some lettuce and am going to try to lure them with that. My thoughts are the ducks must have seen the attack and don't see their coop as a safe place anymore. Before this happened they'd put themselves to bed every night. Anybody have any tips on how I can get the ducks to come home? Or how long a duck's memory is? Thank you.

2. I'm not sure if you want to but you could lure them to the edge of the pond then grab them. Thats how we get our ducks out of ponds. Ducks are fairly intelligent so the best bet is to show them that its safe again.

3. HortenseCumberbatch

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the reply. Any idea how I can prove to them that it's safe?

4. HortenseCumberbatch

Jun 15, 2011
    GREAT NEWS! The lettuce and a heap of patience did the trick. They're home! hooray!

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Yay that's good!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:YourLinkGoesHere [​IMG] great news. hope your setup has been secured so they are safe.

7. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Miss Lydia your link didn't show up, what was it?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:mr. i have no idea, and about my pics of the inside of my coop, well a friend came over and has messed up my computer to where I can't even get my pics onto my computer. [​IMG] I am so upset. They use to go on so easy. [​IMG]

9. mrpekinduck

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh I'm so sorry! Don't worry about trying to get them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by