Duck Messes...and messes...and messes

scrapmom5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Utah
I really new to the duck and chick thing. I love my chicks but am concerned about my runner and pekin. They are a HUGE mess.
sad.png
My first thought was that I would keep them in the Hen House but after seeing the mess I wondered if I could train them to mess up the neighbors yard and not mine.
wink.png
We are planning on moving them outside soon (within a week) and I don't know what to do. Should I keep them with the hens or build them there own home (perhaps in the neighbors yard). Help. If I could only get them to clean up after themselves.
lol.png

Some people have said that they successfully keep ducks in the chicken coop, but I personally wouldn't want to do it.

I try to keep the chicken coop clean and dry, and the duck coop has to be mucked out every couple of weeks at least. And it's wire raised off the ground covered in fresh shavings, with 4 ducks.

I don't think you can train them to be less messy, or to clean up, LOL.

The only thing I've been able to train mine to do is come when I call "Duck Duck" and to go into their coop at night when I'm ready to close them in.

They do a better job of training ME. Each evening they come to the back door and look in and WAACCKKK-WACCCCKKKKKK!!!! for the evening meal (withOUT chickens being involved) and tap on the glass until I come out.
roll.png

trish

Ducks are just a plain old mess. You will never have a clean yard or pen. I bed my little guys in there own pen with straw which is changed weekly, they have a little house in the pen too. I let them roam the yard in the daytime, and they have access to the pond then. I find that Runners are messer then the other breeds.

Quote:
Yes those runners are messy - I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you let them roam during the day, that greatly reduces the mess in my opinion. I have the duck fence going up today and those little guys will be out there as soon as the hinges are on the gates. If those skinny little runners were a bit bigger I'd let them out to range with the donkeys, but the fencing in the pasture is 4x4 and I'm afraid they'd just walk right through it!

Hey thanks everyone:

I will definately build them their own home. I am wondering if I fenced half of our small pond and buried the fence a foot into the water would the ducks figure out to use that as the entrance? Would the racoons also figure it out?

Do you also enjoy having ducks? I love mine after I have bathed them and before they make a mess. On warm days I send them to the garden just to keep them from messing up their pen in the house. They also get very dirty mouth in the garden. Is this normal?

Hehe, dirty mouth is VERY normal.

On that note, a word of warning ... if you pick up your ducks, make SURE their bills can't reach your mouth!!!
th.gif

trish

Back
Top Bottom