Duck Microchipping?

I've never heard of it in poultry and honestly don't think it would be a practical idea. If your duck shows up in a animal shelter I doubt many other people would try to claim it as theirs.

Last edited:
My friend has had a problem with people letting her animals out at the barn.
She got nervous that he would either fly away, "get out" or be let out, so she asked me about it, I honestly didnt know what to say, so I told her Id look into it..

It can be done, but unless you're breeding high quality show stock, the cost of the microchip will be several times the value of the duck. I doubt that anyone who finds a lost duck will even think to have it scanned. Most shelters probably wouldn't even think about doing it. Your friend would be better off spending her efforts in trying to find a more secure place to keep her birds, or else insist that whoever is letting them out stop doing it.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I don't believe she put's or has any "value" to her animals. She doesn't think of them in that manner.
They are never associated with the cost of something being worth it or not. Its whatever it takes to take care of them.
Coming from that school of thought myself, Sherman (the duck), is worth whatever it takes to keep him safe.
As far as the people letting them out, we of course, have put tremendous efforts into it, and are working on it.
People do whatever they want to do. It is a daily endeavor.

Thanks again for your reply.

I can't imagine microchipping a duck would be feasible or even worthwhile. The microchip itself is worthless if you do not sign up with one of the the tracking companies, which costs money to keep your pet active in their system. It's much simpler to keep people from having access to the ducks in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom