Duck missing a LOT of feathers how to keep warm

Sunshineliz

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
My poor pekin female duck was attacked by a dog a couple days ago. We took her to the vet and they've stitched her up pretty well and we've got antibiotics going and we're keeping her in a large tote in the bathroom.

The vet says she can go outside if she's eating and drinking normally and can be kept clean and dry. I think I can manage that if it doesn't rain too much. She even said she could sleep in her little house with the other two ducks as long as they weren't pecking her. But I'm worried about the cold. Temperatures are all over the place. It's in the 20s at night right now but supposed to be warmer the next several days. Daytime is anywhere from 50s to 70s.

I thought maybe some sort of sweater? Not right now, while she's healing her wounds, but maybe in the future. I don't know how long it'll take for her feathers to come back. I don't even know if they WILL come back in some spots. How do I keep her warm?

I'm attaching a picture but it's not pretty, poor thing.
20211206_210531.jpg

My poor pekin female duck was attacked by a dog a couple days ago. We took her to the vet and they've stitched her up pretty well and we've got antibiotics going and we're keeping her in a large tote in the bathroom.

The vet says she can go outside if she's eating and drinking normally and can be kept clean and dry. I think I can manage that if it doesn't rain too much. She even said she could sleep in her little house with the other two ducks as long as they weren't pecking her. But I'm worried about the cold. Temperatures are all over the place. It's in the 20s at night right now but supposed to be warmer the next several days. Daytime is anywhere from 50s to 70s.

I thought maybe some sort of sweater? Not right now, while she's healing her wounds, but maybe in the future. I don't know how long it'll take for her feathers to come back. I don't even know if they WILL come back in some spots. How do I keep her warm?

I'm attaching a picture but it's not pretty, poor thing.View attachment 2922680
I would definitely keep her in at night until her feathers grow back but as long as it doesn’t get under 50 in the day, I’d let her out during the day. Just not in the morning or evening when it’s colder. I think she’d be okay if it’s above 50 but I’m not 100% sure

I wouldn't put her outside until you have observed that she is eating and drinking well. She's most likely in shock and it takes time for them to bounce back. Are any of the ducks drakes? If so, she shouldn't be out with them until fully healed. If your temps are bouncing all around, I would hesitate to put her out as well. When temps have huge swings, animals can become ill from the back and forth. If it were my duck, she would get outdoor time only while I observed especially the 1st week or so.

The other two are both drakes. Mallards. She misses them though. I brought one in to visit (supervised of course)but took him back out after a few minutes. She perked up and chatted with him. But I don't totally trust that he wouldn't peck at her.

The other two are both drakes. Mallards. She misses them though. I brought one in to visit (supervised of course)but took him back out after a few minutes. She perked up and chatted with him. But I don't totally trust that he wouldn't peck at her.
I think I'd wait to integrate her back in especially with the other 2 being drakes.

She got to go out for a little bit today in her own fenced in area. The drakes were nearby in the pool (which she couldn't reach.) They were so excited to see each other. She really perked up.
She also laid an egg this morning which she hasn't done since the attack so I think that's a good sign. 😊

Back
Top Bottom