Duck moats?

How many ducks do you have? Just the three, or six? The ones above look lighter in color.
Five, the pictures show the same three. Khaki Campbell’s bleach in the sunlight. This is them yesterday, after a molt.
AE9B5651-F7BF-48EA-865F-33BE771E3FF8.jpeg

As you can see, I have three hens and two drakes. It would be better if I had four hens and one drake but I hatched the younger three and this is what I got. They all get along in the fall and winter but last spring, when their hormones were raging, I had to separate them. I am hoping they will be better this spring but I am not counting on it.

19DB5766-24F3-4188-BF83-06128CFA720C.jpeg
Well this is my quick autocad sketch. The duck house is just a placeholder; size and shape hasn’t been determined yet. The exterior fence will be a picket fence lined on the inside with the metal protective hardware cloth. The inner fence will just be chicken wire. The bottom, where it looks open is supposed to be two gates( one inner and one outer), but I forgot to draw them. What do you think about the size of the run for at least three ducks? I’m also wondering if the width of the run is narrow enough to discourage hawks, or if it actually needs to have a hardware cloth roof. Hmmm.

Last edited:
View attachment 1242051 Well this is my quick autocad sketch. The duck house is just a placeholder; size and shape hasn’t been determined yet. The exterior fence will be a picket fence lined on the inside with the metal protective hardware cloth. The inner fence will just be chicken wire. The bottom, where it looks open is supposed to be two gates( one inner and one outer), but I forgot to draw them. What do you think about the size of the run for at least three ducks? I’m also wondering if the width of the run is narrow enough to discourage hawks, or if it actually needs to have a hardware cloth roof. Hmmm.
Would love to know if you built this and how is it going

Back
Top Bottom