Duck nesting

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
Since ducks and chickens nest so differently, I would like to see your duck enclosures/nesting areas. My ducks just started laying today. Of course their eggs are nowhere near as clean and pretty as the chickens'. (Do they have the same cuticle as chicken eggs)?

I'd like to set things up to maintain a cleaner nesting area...if that is even possible. Their coop area is kept pretty clean but if I see something that I can implement that seems cool or tidier, I would like to give it a whirl!

I'm not there yet myself but @WannaBeHillBilly has some very good nesting images from a recent broody.
Ducks prefer secluded corners to lay their eggs - at least mine do. My duck-house has two bedrooms and so far i have managed to install three rough boxes in one room of which the most secluded one was chosen by my Duck Katharina to hatch out her ducklings:
full

The other corners of the bedrooms are also occupied with shared nests:
full

Love the idea with the dog-crates @chickens really if i can find some on craigslist i will give them a try.

Since ducks and chickens nest so differently, I would like to see your duck enclosures/nesting areas. My ducks just started laying today. Of course their eggs are nowhere near as clean and pretty as the chickens'. (Do they have the same cuticle as chicken eggs)?

I'd like to set things up to maintain a cleaner nesting area...if that is even possible. Their coop area is kept pretty clean but if I see something that I can implement that seems cool or tidier, I would like to give it a whirl!
I'm not there yet myself but @WannaBeHillBilly has some very good nesting images from a recent broody.

Back
Top Bottom