Duck newbie…lots of questions

wildriverswolf90

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
polk county, NC
Hi everybody.

I'm getting a few ducklings from TSC next week and I have few questions.
I'm wanting to get either Rouen or Pekin.
*Do either of these breeds have a good tendency to brood?
*When do they begin to lay?
*can I feed them non-medicated chick starter and grower? (its the only feed, beside layer my feed store has)
*what about brooder temps, how warm should it be?
And
*how old before they can be moved outside?

Thank you all and sorry for the question overload!

Hi everybody.
I'm getting a few ducklings from TSC next week and I have few questions.
I'm wanting to get either Rouen or Pekin.
*Do either of these breeds have a good tendency to brood? Not sure about Rouens but Pekins are not great brooders.
*When do they begin to lay? Around 6 months.
*can I feed them non-medicated chick starter and grower? (its the only feed, beside layer my feed store has) Yes
*what about brooder temps, how warm should it be? I keep mine in the high 90s the first week.
And
*how old before they can be moved outside? Depends on your climate but as early as 2 weeks in some states
Thank you all and sorry for the question overload!

Duck newbie

AOne more question. I will have a small pen to lock them up in at night. But the space where they will spend most their time is in a fenced in yard attached to my open stall barn. The fence is only 3ft high and I know pekin and rouen won't fly out but what about Cayugas and swedish blues, can they fly at all?

ETA: wrong breed put down.

Last edited:
I would be more worried about something getting in a 3 ft fence than the ducks getting out.

A really great book that's full of info about ducks is Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. It's written by Dave Holderread of Holderread Waterfowl. http://holderreadfarm.com/

You can buy the book on Amazon.com, too. I just bought the new edition. I've had ducks off and on since I was a kid, but I still refer to this book when I have a question.

A good website for comparing breed characteristics is on Metzer Farm's site: http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

My Welsh Harlequin made her own nest out of grass and sat on it last year.

Last edited:
Duck newbie

AThank you. They will locked in a secure pen at night and my LGD mix spends her days in that yard with my chickens. They don't have to be good broodies, I just want a breed that won't fly away.

I've heard of Cayugas being able to sometimes get off the ground for awhile but they'd really need a running start and it was usually hens.

Pekins are way better layers than rouens, but they do not generally go broody (although last year I had one of my pekins hatched 8 out of 9 eggs). Although, rouens are not very good layers but they do go broody.

Roens are broody and usually start sitting the yr after you get them. Mine have always hatched 1 batch of 20+ once a yr but last yr I had a Roen that sat 2x. I don't know why but I have never had an issue with predators with the roens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom