Duck nose bleeding--please help!

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
I posted this in the disease and emergency forum too so sorry for the repeat.

I noticed this morning that one of my ducks has dried blood in her nostrils and a few small open sores on her lower eyelids. We are currently treating another duck for a respiratory infection but she never bled. Could this be a sign of a respiratory infection or something else? Please help!

Hi. I'm new on this forum, but I've been raising ducks (Muscovy) for quite a while. I've been wandering the forums to get to know what's what and who is who... and I noticed that you have been having some issues lately with your flock. I hope I'm not being intrusive, but I thought I might recommend spraying the dirt floor of your duck pen with a combination of a gallon of vinegar mixed with a half cup of salt. In warm wet weather we often have a problem with bacteria and pathogens in the dirt yards; it often ends up with infected feet, or ducks with eye infections if we don't treat aggressively with salt and vinegar. If we spray the yards every couple weeks it really cuts down on the problems that we have to deal with. You can even cut back the amount of salt in the mix if you're worried about nearby plants, and you can use epsom salts instead of regular table salt (I prefer the iodized table salt). But, it might help.

Dot.

Check your PMs, I responded there, TwoDogFarm. Sending hugs - I think Dot is thinking along the lines I have begun to think. You are being a conscientious flock steward - and at the same time, either there is something that has built up in the environment, or there is something interfering with the ducks' immune system - generally, ducks are quite resistant to many if not most infectious organisms.

So, as I wrote in the PM, I would start oral antibiotics, and I would also dab some bacitracin or similar on the sores for a few days. I always remind myself that there are fungal infections as well as bacterial, and that antibiotics won't work on fungal infections. Just something to keep in mind since we don't have a BYC lab…yet.

Wanted to repost my thoughts here to share them with a wider community.

I absolutely did not mean that there was any neglect. You can't wash dirt, so I've run into the same issue with dealing with lurking pathogens. As Amiga said, sometimes it can be bacteria, or viral, or fungal, and with Muscovy I even have to deal with the possibility of coccidiosis which is a protozoa. Vinegar with salt kills the bacteria, fungus, and protozoa. So, it takes out some guesswork.

Dang these text communications systems! So much gets lost in the translation…. dotporter did not in the slightest suggest neglect!
hugs.gif
I try to regularly write positive things when folks are dealing with illness or injury in the flock. Because I am a problem-oriented person and I feel that I get so busy asking questions and running down checklists, that folks might think that I am unkind or critical.

So If I wrote something awkward, my apologies. Dot cares, TwoDog cares, we all want to sort this out. And I believe we will. And I also try not to overwhelm people with suggestions, ideas and questions.

hide.gif

lol, Oh, no Amiga, you didn't say anything awkward at all. I'm new here and walking on eggshells because I can't help but post and I don't want to step on any more "Established" toes on the forum. EEK...
hide.gif
Because really, I've been a lurker for ages and I really love the advice and friendly atmosphere here.

Last edited:
Okay, dot, I'm holding my toes - step away!
lol.png
Welcome.

So far, we do okay in the Day Pen - I have a sheet composting setup there - the ducks' manure plus high-carbon bedding material, occasionally tossed a bit, and raked out when it's nice and rich, to go on the compost or into the garden.

Provides worms to the ducks, and feeds the roots of the nearby trees. Sometimes when it gets hot for long spells, or if I just feel like it needs it, I will pour some white vinegar with several drops of rosemary or lavender oil on the gravel under the swim pans.

Last edited:
Hey. I didn't mean to disappear for a while. Just been busy. Thansk for all the suggestions. We may definitely try the floor spray mix, Dot.

As far as our duck goes, we never were able to find her again. We inspected all the Pekins and they all appeared fine. No nose bleeds or eye problems that i could tell. At least i believe we checked them all. Very strange but good.

Back
Top Bottom