Duck not eating oyster shell

One of my ducks is similar, and has been laying fewer/fragile eggs, otherwise healthy. I started her on liquid calcium/vitamin D that I add 2 ml of onto a small bowl of peas, she eats that up in a flash. It seems to be working - no broken eggs for a few days!
Just started doing this. Thanks so much.

I just started calcium gluconate 2 days ago and I bought flaked oyster shell to see if she will eat that. I normally use the bigger stuff. I do supply grit. I also separated my drake yesterday to give the girls a little break. Thanks for your advice. Anyone know how long I need to keep my drake separated? I have 2 females and 1 drake. He was getting rough and chasing them everywhere.
Is give them a few days at least-
Spring is coming through now so hormones are going to go a bit crazy. Are you planning on getting more females in the future? 2 is a little out of ratio

Is give them a few days at least-
Spring is coming through now so hormones are going to go a bit crazy. Are you planning on getting more females in the future? 2 is a little out of ratio
No I don't plan to get more. I ended up with them because they needed rehomed. I have plenty of room to separate so that's my plan. I can separate in same run and coop so he isn't lonely.

No I don't plan to get more. I ended up with them because they needed rehomed. I have plenty of room to separate so that's my plan. I can separate in same run and coop so he isn't lonely.
That's good at least
You may have to have him separated for large parts of breeding seasons if he's being too rough on them, though

That's good at least
You may have to have him separated for large parts of breeding seasons if he's being too rough on them, though
That's what I'm thinking. I also read the younger he is the worse it is and he is only 1 year. They are in breeding season until July if I understand correctly.

I have my oyster shell in a separate bowl and always available. At first my young ducks weren't interested in it. I crushed up some chicken and ducks eggs shells and added that which got them more interested.
I do this as well. My flock didn’t seem to take to the oyster shells at first and would rather pick at the crushed eggshells I scatter out for them. I still keep that bowl out for the oyster shells.

I would give her calcium daily for at least a week, maybe longer. Until shes laying proper shells.
I'd give calcium gluconate a try, seems to work very well for our ducks. The brand is Durvert and its available from Tractor Supply- 1ml over a treat daily.

What kind of oyster shells do you use? Are they large pieces or small flakes? You may want to change the brand for finer pieces, my girls seem to prefer that to the larger variety of crushed oyster shells.
Do you also supply grit? They need grit to be able to digest the shells well.
What feed are they on?

If you have other hens who are laying, try feeding the shells back to them, that could act as a nice little boost.
Do they need grit if they're outside foraging most of the day? I read that they get plenty of grit from the ground

Back
Top Bottom