Duck not eating

Katielovesducks

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
Hi everyone, new here, my first time with ducks, my step daughters got them a little under a year ago, we transfered them outside and then they became my responsibility. I don't know much about them, but I'm doing my best. Things have been going great, great egg production, but as of yesterday, my one female duck won't eat at all. She's drinking, she's acting mostly normal except she was hiding in her little house (she wasn't with the rest of the flock) when I went out to check on her. I then brought her inside where she's been since... I've tried feeding her treats and regular food and nothing. Her poop is pretty watery and a yellowish green color. I don't think she's egg bound or has mites, I've checked her pretty well. I have never dewormed them, I don't know if I should? I searched through a bunch of forums on here, but I've tried the recommendations I've found, but nothing has worked. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear your hen is feeling under the weather. Would you mind providing some additional information?

What is her main diet? How old is the duck? Is she a layer? Has this duck had any problems in the past? Could you post a few pictures of her poop, as well as a full-body picture of the duck? Does her crop area, look, and feel bloated at all? How does her underside/abdominal area feel, bloated, hard, firm?

]

Sorry to hear your hen is feeling under the weather. Would you mind providing some additional information?

What is her main diet? How old is the duck? Is she a layer? Has this duck had any problems in the past? Could you post a few pictures of her poop, as well as a full-body picture of the duck? Does her crop area, look, and feel bloated at all? How does her underside/abdominal area feel, bloated, hard, firm?

]

So, right after I posted this she started breathing heavy and drooling. I grabbed her out of her "hospice" area and she passed away in my arms. I am devastated. I have no clue what happened. None of the others in the flock seem sick.

So, right after I posted this she started breathing heavy and drooling. I grabbed her out of her "hospice" area and she passed away in my arms. I am devastated. I have no clue what happened. None of the others in the flock seem sick.

I'm so very sorry. What color what the drooling? How does/did her breath smell, do you know?

If you want to get a good idea of what happened, you can send her to your state veterinary necropsy lab. Most states charge a minimal fee.

Here is some info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

I'm so very sorry. What color what the drooling? How does/did her breath smell, do you know?

If you want to get a good idea of what happened, you can send her to your state veterinary necropsy lab. Most states charge a minimal fee.

Here is some info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

Thank you so much. The drool was clear from what I could tell. I didn't smell anything bad from her breath. We did bury her, but now I kind of want to send her. Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom