Duck Not eating?

Sep 6, 2020
A few days ago I noticed our fawn and white runner isn’t eating like the rest of our ducks. They are free range during the day and at night they get penned up and get feed as well. She is one of our more skiddish ducks. Probably even the the most. At first I thought maybe she was full from foraging but now I don’t think so since it’s been multiple days and I picked her up tonight, she is very very light. I know runners are smaller ducks but I picked up one of our blue runners and she is probably half the size (all our runners are female).She is acting completely normal. While all the other ducks are eating she stands by the water and occasionally drinks that.

Before anyone thinks it’s because I’m standing there, our ducks are very friendly. Majority eat right out of our hand and even the ones that don’t they will get very close still so I do not believe that is the issue.

Considering leaving her locked up tomorrow while I let the others out. Leave a set amount of feed and see if she eats.

Open to any suggestions or recommendations! Maybe I’m making something out of nothing but I was shocked how little she weighed when I picked her up and I just think it’s odd for her to not be going after the food like all the other ducks

It would be a good idea to keep her up tomorrow so you can monitor her eating and drinking. Do you have any poultry vitamins you can add to her water? Keeping track of her weight is a good idea. I'd keep her where she can see her flock and them her. It will be less stressful on her.

A few days ago I noticed our fawn and white runner isn’t eating like the rest of our ducks. They are free range during the day and at night they get penned up and get feed as well. She is one of our more skiddish ducks. Probably even the the most. At first I thought maybe she was full from foraging but now I don’t think so since it’s been multiple days and I picked her up tonight, she is very very light. I know runners are smaller ducks but I picked up one of our blue runners and she is probably half the size (all our runners are female).She is acting completely normal. While all the other ducks are eating she stands by the water and occasionally drinks that.

Before anyone thinks it’s because I’m standing there, our ducks are very friendly. Majority eat right out of our hand and even the ones that don’t they will get very close still so I do not believe that is the issue.

Considering leaving her locked up tomorrow while I let the others out. Leave a set amount of feed and see if she eats.

Open to any suggestions or recommendations! Maybe I’m making something out of nothing but I was shocked how little she weighed when I picked her up and I just think it’s odd for her to not be going after the food like all the other ducks
How old is she? Is she laying? Any changes in her laying?

I also agree with weighing her and keeping an eye on her for a day because you can't exactly compare her to others even if they are the same breed. I have hens of the same breed who's overall bone structures and weight vary enough that you can feel the difference picking them up. Kind of like people you can even have full blood sister's of all different shapes and sizes.

It would be a good idea to keep her up tomorrow so you can monitor her eating and drinking. Do you have any poultry vitamins you can add to her water? Keeping track of her weight is a good idea. I'd keep her where she can see her flock and them her. It will be less stressful on her.
I am a bit under the weather myself so my husband had let them out this morning. I think it would have been too stressful on all of them, him included, to try to separate her out. I have been watching her though from the house and she is foraging.

I probably have save a chick packets. Idk if that would do any good she’s at laying age. I also have nutri -drench I could put some drops on the water. The problem with keeping her locked up is she won’t be able to see the flock if they leave the barn and I feel it’ll be stressful on her as she’s always right with them

How old is she? Is she laying? Any changes in her laying?
She is about 8-9 months. I believe she is laying but we have 14 hens total so to be 100% positive is hard. As far as eggs go though not many chances in what we’ve been getting. They are actually more consistent now as far as size

Back
Top Bottom