Duck not laying

Is she still eating and acting normally? If so, then she may have just stopped for the season. Ducks don't usually lay year-round. In fact, most only lay in the spring and early summer (this is what mine do). They will also stop laying while they are in a moult, or after a stressful event (predator attack, introducing new ducks, moving to a new location). So any of these things can cause ducks to stop laying and isn't really anything to be worried about.

The only time you need to worry is if she also stops eating and starts acting lethargic. In that case she is likely egg bound and needs veterinary care right away.

That's most likely it. Once it starts getting cold and the days become shorter/darker, they will often stop laying until Spring. :)

Is she still eating and acting normally? If so, then she may have just stopped for the season. Ducks don't usually lay year-round. In fact, most only lay in the spring and early summer (this is what mine do). They will also stop laying while they are in a moult, or after a stressful event (predator attack, introducing new ducks, moving to a new location). So any of these things can cause ducks to stop laying and isn't really anything to be worried about.

The only time you need to worry is if she also stops eating and starts acting lethargic. In that case she is likely egg bound and needs veterinary care right away. 

That's good to hear. My duck was previously attacked and the other 6 didn't make it. So Beyonce (so named because she's a survivor) hasn't played an egg since July. Believe either a mallard or Rouen. But if she lays again in the spring that would be wonderful. Got her some new friends and she's got some attitude, but always shows all the new kids on the block where everything is and how to get into the pool.

That's good to hear. My duck was previously attacked and the other 6 didn't make it. So Beyonce (so named because she's a survivor) hasn't played an egg since July. Believe either a mallard or Rouen. But if she lays again in the spring that would be wonderful. Got her some new friends and she's got some attitude, but always shows all the new kids on the block where everything is and how to get into the pool.
So sorry for your losses. Glad Beyonce has recovered and has new friends. The way to tell between Mallard and Rouen is size. Rouens are large mallards are small.
Please post some pics when you can, and
Welcome to BYC @chwychuro

So sorry for your losses. Glad Beyonce has recovered and has new friends.  The way to tell between Mallard and Rouen is size. Rouens are large mallards are small.

I guess these things happen. But also learned that as much as I want them free ranging, unless I don't mind a few missing here and there, I have to make a secure pen for them. Unless I'm watching them. I'm sure with time i will let them free range again, but they're my babies!

This one is of Beyonce and the male Cayuga

I guess these things happen. But also learned that as much as I want them free ranging, unless I don't mind a few missing here and there, I have to make a secure pen for them. Unless I'm watching them. I'm sure with time i will let them free range again, but they're my babies!
Beautiful ducks. love the way she is looking at the camera. nice big pool too.

So sorry for your losses. Glad Beyonce has recovered and has new friends.  The way to tell between Mallard and Rouen is size. Rouens are large mallards are small.

What a nice set up. I would say she is a Rouen, mallards are pretty small. I bet she will start laying again in the spring.

Thanks guys! And that is exciting to hear that she will probably start laying again in the spring, but again still wouldn't get rid of her even if she didn't. I also wanted a pool deep enough for them to dive if they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom