1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck not laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missbrit2006, Dec 11, 2015.

1. missbrit2006

missbrit2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    My duck was laying an egg everyday now she's not laying at all

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Is she still eating and acting normally? If so, then she may have just stopped for the season. Ducks don't usually lay year-round. In fact, most only lay in the spring and early summer (this is what mine do). They will also stop laying while they are in a moult, or after a stressful event (predator attack, introducing new ducks, moving to a new location). So any of these things can cause ducks to stop laying and isn't really anything to be worried about.

The only time you need to worry is if she also stops eating and starts acting lethargic. In that case she is likely egg bound and needs veterinary care right away.

1 person likes this.
  3. missbrit2006

missbrit2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Ok thank you! Didn't know if it had to do with cold weather

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That's most likely it. Once it starts getting cold and the days become shorter/darker, they will often stop laying until Spring. :)

5. chwychuro

chwychuro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA

That's good to hear. My duck was previously attacked and the other 6 didn't make it. So Beyonce (so named because she's a survivor) hasn't played an egg since July. Believe either a mallard or Rouen. But if she lays again in the spring that would be wonderful. Got her some new friends and she's got some attitude, but always shows all the new kids on the block where everything is and how to get into the pool.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your losses. Glad Beyonce has recovered and has new friends. The way to tell between Mallard and Rouen is size. Rouens are large mallards are small.
    Please post some pics when you can, and
    Welcome to BYC @chwychuro

7. chwychuro

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA

I guess these things happen. But also learned that as much as I want them free ranging, unless I don't mind a few missing here and there, I have to make a secure pen for them. Unless I'm watching them. I'm sure with time i will let them free range again, but they're my babies! [​IMG]
    This one is of Beyonce and the male Cayuga

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful ducks. love the way she is looking at the camera. nice big pool too.

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    What a nice set up. I would say she is a Rouen, mallards are pretty small. I bet she will start laying again in the spring.

10. chwychuro

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    Thanks guys! And that is exciting to hear that she will probably start laying again in the spring, but again still wouldn't get rid of her even if she didn't. I also wanted a pool deep enough for them to dive if they wanted to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by