Duck not mating with all females.

Yaima0901

Hatching
Apr 10, 2022
I have one malllard duck(male) and 4 females I started to notice that he is only mating with 2 of the 4 and they are losing feathers and running away from him. How do I get him to mate with all of them? I separated the 2 females to give them a break and he doesn’t touch the other two but as soon as I try to put them all together he goes straight to mate with them. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance I’m new here!

:welcome Sounds like the only way to get him to breed the second two hens is to separate him from his favorites. Allowing him access to his favorites once a week will assure that they produce fertile eggs. Some drakes form strong pair bonds and will mate only with their favorites.

My drake mates with all four of my hens but he picks on two of them. I keep him separated from those two the majority of the spring and summer. I thought he wasn’t mating with the other two since they aren’t missing feathers, but I recently set 10 eggs and they all were fertile. I think drakes are bullies who keep the bottom females in line by raping them. I would give your two injured girls lots of time without him.

Back
Top Bottom