Duck on it's back

Shellysstuff7

Songster
May 25, 2019
Spring Valley, Arizona
Hi, I have 3 Cayuga Ducklings that are almost 2 weeks old. I have one that has gotten on her back twice now and freaks out and thrashes around. When I pick her up and hold her for a few seconds then she seems to come out of it. I gave them quick chic from Murry McMurry Hatchery for the first 3 days as instructed. From what I have read on here they need to have brewers yeast or Niacin.
I didn't know I needed to feed them brewers yeast. How much do I put on their food? Do I have to give the brewers yeast to them or will Niacin be enough? Sorry for all the questions!

Hi, so do I still give them the brewers yeast with the duck starter? I have never raised ducks before. I was around them as a kid and young adult and never heard of either the Niacin or brewers yeast. Thanks!!
No..I have never used it in all the hatches I've raised. Niacin is in the feed for Ducklings. I provide greens too which are high in niacin.

If for some reason you cannot find duck starter at Tractor Supply you can add 1/4 cup of brewer's yeast per pound of chick starter. I fed chick starter only to my first set of ducklings, and one of them had shaky legs and balance issues, but adding niacin corrected the problem. I have been putting niacin in my new babies' food from day one (my Tractor Supply only has chick starter, nothing specially formulated for ducks).

Back
Top Bottom