Duck or drake???

Bitofablonde

Songster
Apr 19, 2021
Beautiful north Texas
Hey there!!

So I'm trying to figure out if my Quackers (darker beak) is a he or a she. First one out of the 2 who's voice changed at about 8 weeks (now about 11wks), always been larger then the other. But he/she is also the quietest. Pippy (lighter beak in the pics) is always very loud and quacks often. Where as her friend does more chattering then quacking, they are pretty much through their first molt and still no drake feather. Any ideas? I'm thinking both are Pekins, but im wondering if maybe size difference is also because Pippy is a white layer? From tsc, hoovers hatchery ducks.

Quackers is the single duck in the first pic. The other 2 pictures I was trying to show size difference. If I could upload a video I would share one of the chattering they do. Pippy is also still making a high pitched peeping sound at times and Quackers doesn't do that.

The last picture, pippy is on the left and quackers is on the right.

Attachments

• 20210521_084841.jpg
    20210521_084841.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210521_085213.jpg
    20210521_085213.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210521_085526.jpg
    20210521_085526.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Does Quakers have any rasp to their voice or does Quakers make more honky sounds? I have some hens that rarely make a sound, but when they do it's the typical honky hen sound then I have hens who every morning as soon as they see me start to sound off. If there is a rasp at all Quakers is a drake, but even if Quakers never makes a sound except for the occasionally honky quack then Quakers is a hen.

The amount of talking matters less than the volume/type of talking. For example, all my drakes chatter constantly, but their voices are much more muted and raspy than my hens. So I would describe them as being quieter, despite the amount of talking. But when the hens see me coming they have the very lloud "quack quack quack!!!" noise like in the movies or Aflac commercial. They know I am the bringer of grubs. :plbb

The amount of talking matters less than the volume/type of talking. For example, all my drakes chatter constantly, but their voices are much more muted and raspy than my hens. So I would describe them as being quieter, despite the amount of talking. But when the hens see me coming they have the very lloud "quack quack quack!!!" noise like in the movies or Aflac commercial. They know I am the bringer of grubs. :plbb
So pippy does the yelling haha whenever we come outside, come home etc. Love it! Quackers just constantly chatters. He/she quacked today (for the first time in quite a while) and it sounded more raspy to me. Would a drake feather have appeared by now at 11weeks?

If we were home I would try and catch quackers, to get a better picture but we aren't home now.

I got all my ducks when they were older, but when I got my pekin drake, he didn't have the curler feather initially, even though he was about 10 months old. I'm not sure if that was a weird quirk for him or if it's typical for drake tail feathers.

I got all my ducks when they were older, but when I got my pekin drake, he didn't have the curler feather initially, even though he was about 10 months old. I'm not sure if that was a weird quirk for him or if it's typical for drake tail feathers.
Hmm that's good to know, maybe if Quackers is a male the drake feather will come in later.

Back
Top Bottom