Duck or Drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Derksmit, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Derksmit

Derksmit New Egg

Aug 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

Is this baby a duck or a drake???

Also I am trying to introduce this duck (about 3 months) to some littler ducks (about 4 wks), but the 3 littler ducks seem to torment him/her by nipping at his/her rear. Any suggestions on how to get one big happy ducky family?

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Well if that is a Welsh Harlequin like I think it is, I am going to say girl. I believe that the girls have the dark bills nad the boys would have the litter bill. Anyway introducing will be hard since the three younger ones have made their flock already. They are already an astablished group even at that young age. What I did when I introduce older duckilings and newer ducklings, I put them side by side where they can see each other but not touch. A fence or I used plexy glass lol! It worked well. After about a week I let them free range outside together because it is a nutral location. Then see how it goes if the little ones except her then they can sleep together that night, and you shouldnt have any trouble after that. [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You could try putting your most mellow youngster in with the new kid and let them bond for a few days to a week. Then put the two in with the rest. Introducing a lone bird into a flock is always a challenge.

4. andycrosby

andycrosby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    North East Thailand
    It Looks like a little Girl to me. Is it driving you quackers

5. Derksmit

Derksmit New Egg

Aug 25, 2011
    It is driving me quackers because so far i've posted the pic in 2 places and 2 people think it's a duck and 2 people think it's a drake! [​IMG]

I might just have to wait and see if eggs start coming out!

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    What does the duck sound like? Raspy or loud and quacky?

7. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    i have 3 of them and this is what they look like,
    [​IMG]
    the one i think is a girl looks like this ( the one out of the pool)
    [​IMG]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    By three weeks, my runner girls were changing voice from peep peep to peeephonk, then soon to ah AH ah ah and WAK! Apparently drakes just whisper and mumble and chirp a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by