Duck or Drake???

AutumnMerritt

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
Merritt Island, FL
Hey everyone!

So i've always thought my Diasy (Yellow girl) was a silver apple yard and a female. She was always much smaller, and she has started quacking! and a lot!!!

My Cayuga i've always assumed was a boy, simply because he was much bigger at the same age when they were younger. He is getting bright green on his head and still peeps. Only today did I hear him/her actually kind of quack and it was not like the other one.

I am so confused simply because as they are getting feathers. (6weeks now) I got them 5/10/15.) My Daisy is very brown, she looks almost rouen completely. White tips on the wings, and is starting to get some white by her neck, almost like a ring.

But she quacks so much! And loud! where my cayuga just peeps and is very quiet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are some pics :)

Cant really see her neck in this, but I promise it's there!

*** And also, she is way bigger then him now!

Voice sexing is really accurate but he is still a bit young to be 100%. My boys didn't start getting horse till 9+ weeks and my girls were all quacking between 3-6 weeks. Are you positive on her breed? They are very cute and you want a smaller drake rather than a larger one.

ETA here is a voice clip on both males and females. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

Last edited:
Within a few weeks, you should start noticing the Drake feather as well. Both my ducks are 16 weeks old, almost 17 and neither one has a drake feather. That is how I know GIRL!
big_smile.png
no eggs yet though. @AutumnMerritt

That makes sense, she? started quacking around 4/5 weeks and now never peeps. Makes all sorts of noises. It's a loud quack. Not horse at all. Now the black one he? still peeps like a duckling. Only today did he actually make a horse quack like sound. Sounded different than the yellow one. & I HAVE NO IDEA what she is! I got them from a farm in Palm Bay Florida. They let me choose them out and there were only black ones and the yellow one. I have pics of her on my page. Someone said she may be a silver apple yard because she only has the one black stripe on top. But now that she is feathering out she is way too dark to be a pure bred silver. Also I noticed she has some random white splotches down on the bottom end of her belly. I think she is a mix and the black one is cayuga. Although he is a bit slender and tall to me. Mystery
he.gif

@lynss94 Woohoo! I can't wait! Either way I love them both dearly. I am starting to wonder if I will need more ducks if there one male and female.

I don't know! I got lucky and got two females so I don't have to worry about the drake attacking the duck. I would like to breed my Khaki at some point though. Both my duckies sound just like the clip!
celebrate.gif

Aww! Maybe you will get a drake in the near future
wink.png

These two are like peas in a pod! I don't think they will be an issue together. If I separate at all, they freak out!! They have never been not together. I would love to have eggs and maybe eventually some ducklings!! I always wondered what they would look like... Cayuga with Silver/Rouen. Makes me excited!! :) Do you let your ducks free range during the day? They aren't fully feathered and I get worried about leaving them out in the Pen all day with no top for coverage. I am such a worrier!!

Aww! Maybe you will get a drake in the near future
wink.png

These two are like peas in a pod! I don't think they will be an issue together. If I separate at all, they freak out!! They have never been not together. I would love to have eggs and maybe eventually some ducklings!! I always wondered what they would look like... Cayuga with Silver/Rouen. Makes me excited!! :) Do you let your ducks free range during the day? They aren't fully feathered and I get worried about leaving them out in the Pen all day with no top for coverage. I am such a worrier!!

Oh trust me, I get criticized for my worry about my precious babies. But they are like my children you know. Mine have been together since day one as well. When they get separated, they go NUTS. I let them loose in the backyard from about 8:00 am to 9:00 pm then it is inside for my ladies! They are afraid of the dark!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom