Duck out of nowhere having trouble walking

Hey! No never been on grass. He’s bigger than the others and I think all the others are females. He’s quiet. They’re loud. I checked on him moments ago he is up and walking more however he walks different than the others. Almost like it’s taking a lot for him to lift and put down his leg. Almost like a stomp. I feel it’s bc he’s heavy and his legs are not as strong. I’m not 100% sure. I have that bottle miss Lydia of liquid you told me about a year ago that I fed one of my baby ducklings in their treats bc he couldn’t walk at all and needed niacin.

Oh and with the new shed and pen we got them. They refused to go in the shed. They stay in the run. Not sure how to get them to want to go inside to be locked up overnight.

Oh and with the new shed and pen we got them. They refused to go in the shed. They stay in the run. Not sure how to get them to want to go inside to be locked up overnight.
Walk slowly behind them and herd them inside. If they scatter get some help. Pick each one up and put them inside and close the door. If you can't herd. They will get use to it just keep the routine the same.

The ramp isn't steep? yep takes them time to get used to things but if you are consistent they will learn.
You could let your drake be the last one in and then you can make sure he doesn't hurt himself.

Can you take a video of the walking? You would have to upload it via you tube or vimeo or another media like that and the post here. It almost sounds like he just isn't used to the grass.
I've used long sticks (broom handle) to guide my ducks into places where they need to go. They don't like being cooped at night, but it's the safest option. You can also use a flashlight and guide them by keeping it behind them. Of course that only works at night. Some also use mealworms to entice their ducks into the duck house. My only concern with that is that I figure they need a drink after eating (even a small amount) and I don't keep water in their house.
Is the ramp high off the ground? Is it wide enough? Pics would help.

The ramp isn't steep? yep takes them time to get used to things but if you are consistent they will learn.
You could let your drake be the last one in and then you can make sure he doesn't hurt himself.
Hey! Ramp is not steep as soon as I get them over to it they try to run the other way. I’ll send pics tomorrow for sure

Back
Top Bottom