Duck pecking order ??

Saaan13

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
I have 2 female call ducks and 2 other female ducks (saxony & Indian runner x khaki Campbell)

The 2 call ducks seem to attack the other 2 ducks when they are in the food or water

Is this some sort of pecking order or is it just attacking for no reason?

I have 2 female call ducks and 2 other female ducks (saxony & Indian runner x khaki Campbell)

The 2 call ducks seem to attack the other 2 ducks when they are in the food or water

Is this some sort of pecking order or is it just attacking for no reason?
can you describe what the "attacking" entails?
Have you tried providing an extra feeding/water station so that no one ends up missing out? How much space do they have?

can you describe what the "attacking" entails?
Have you tried providing an extra feeding/water station so that no one ends up missing out? How much space do they have?
I have put a feed and water station at either side of the run , the run in big enough too , the attacks are like biting , when my Indian runner duck x khaki Campbell goes to eat , the duck goes for the neck or the wing , then holds on for a few seconds then let’s go. It’s not all the time just when they go for the food

I have put a feed and water station at either side of the run , the run in big enough too , the attacks are like biting , when my Indian runner duck x khaki Campbell goes to eat , the duck goes for the neck or the wing , then holds on for a few seconds then let’s go. It’s not all the time just when they go for the food
Pecking order behavior is very individual to some ducks. Excluding other ducks from food and bathing water are common pecking order behaviors. I have pekins housed in dogcrates with their own individual food and water bowls because my muscovy are in the habit of excluding them from the communal food bowl and water tub. Pecking wings and tails are common, sometimes pulling neck feathers out.

Mine free range during the day and during the day only have access to a communal food bowl which seems to work. There is a pecking order for getting into the wading pool, so I got a second wading pool and also a deep tub of water. But in the coop, I found separation was called for.

Your call duck behavior is undoubtedly pecking order behavior. Having multiple feeding stations and more than one pool/tub can help. Keep an eye out for injuries, but unless any duck is injured -- blood loss or too many feathers lost from their neck or tail -- let them sort it out between themselves.

Pecking order behavior is very individual to some ducks. Excluding other ducks from food and bathing water are common pecking order behaviors. I have pekins housed in dogcrates with their own individual food and water bowls because my muscovy are in the habit of excluding them from the communal food bowl and water tub. Pecking wings and tails are common, sometimes pulling neck feathers out.

Mine free range during the day and during the day only have access to a communal food bowl which seems to work. There is a pecking order for getting into the wading pool, so I got a second wading pool and also a deep tub of water. But in the coop, I found separation was called for.

Your call duck behavior is undoubtedly pecking order behavior. Having multiple feeding stations and more than one pool/tub can help. Keep an eye out for injuries, but unless any duck is injured -- blood loss or too many feathers lost from their neck or tail -- let them sort it out between themselves.
Yeah there all ok now , bit of nipping here and there but it’s all good now :)

Back
Top Bottom