Duck Pens?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So when I look on the Youtube videos a lot of people seem to have nice duck houses and pens filled with straw or wood chips.

Is that really necessary?

I have some rain shielding overhead, and high fencing around the night pen area to keep stuff out. And there's plenty of water and food, but I don't have any straw or wood chips in there. Its just ground. Some of the pen even has cement.

None of them have any foot problems or anything.

I'm worrying about if this will be OK? And also if it can affect egg production?

Its cleaned often. I can just go in there with a hose and squirt around. And if possible I hope I can avoid buying wood shavings and stuff to put in there. But I don't want to do anything they won't like. They only sleep in there, and I let them out on the grass all day the rest of the time, which they like. Most of the day time they are in the grass, and under trees.

Wanted to make sure I'm not missing things. Thanks.

PS ducks are almost at 5 months. I haven't seen any eggs yet. But it seems a lot of people say they won't put them out right at 5 1/2 months, but generally probably around 6 months(?) (Pekings, and Khakis)

Good question.

Most wild waterfowl are most often found either on water or soft grass, it should be the owners responsibility to replicate this as much as possible to avoid future problems. Keeping waterfowl for an extended period of time on hard/rough bedding is conducive to many problems like pododermatitis, obesity, arthritis, malnutrition, and many other problems related to lack of hygiene. Soft bedding should be provided in their pen, which could be cut sod, wood chips, or leaves. Straw, hay, and wood chips should only be used in an enclosure, as exposed to the elements the bedding will become wet and stinky in no time.

Good question.

Most wild waterfowl are most often found either on water or soft grass, it should be the owners responsibility to replicate this as much as possible to avoid future problems. Keeping waterfowl for an extended period of time on hard/rough bedding is conducive to many problems like pododermatitis, obesity, arthritis, malnutrition, and many other problems related to lack of hygiene. Soft bedding should be provided in their pen, which could be cut sod, wood chips, or leaves. Straw, hay, and wood chips should only be used in an enclosure, as exposed to the elements the bedding will become wet and stinky in no time.
Thanks.

Do you also think the level of shade or an overhead roofing affects egg production?

And I hope others can talk about these ideas also. its interesting to see the minute details and learn from the experienced.

I use hay in my Pekins pen, but it's easily accessible to me i just take what the sheep and horses have said isn't fresh(and NO i don't mean moldy, just had all the good stuff taken away lol)

My scovies aren't penned so it doesn't matter lol. The calls get hay too.

I use hay in my Pekins pen, but it's easily accessible to me i just take what the sheep and horses have said isn't fresh(and NO i don't mean moldy, just had all the good stuff taken away lol)

My scovies aren't penned so it doesn't matter lol. The calls get hay too.

Does your pen have a roof?

Do you also think the level of shade or an overhead roofing affects egg production?

And I hope others can talk about these ideas also. its interesting to see the minute details and learn from the experienced.

I think it's important they have plenty of sunshine, and of coarse shade too when hot. My 6yo pekin still lays...

You must have to clean the straw our very often then, I'm guessing?

Hay lol no straw here. Yeah it's not hard i only have two pekin now... I also use the hay under open shelters for the scovies... i have a dirt area they all come into.. aka used to be dog yard lol.

It's such easy bedding, for one it's already here and a pitch fork lifts it up in large chunks.. my calls have shavings inside the house so do the Pekin... it's a good insulator especially in our cold weather which lingers until May.

Back
Top Bottom