Duck people please help - what is my broody trying to tell me?

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
I am new to ducks so please be patient! My duck started acted broody last Sunday, so I let her keep her eggs and she's been adding an egg a day of her own, plus whatever I've snuck under her from someone else. She has a total of 8 eggs now. She's been sitting tight ever since Sunday evening. In order to keep her flockmate from sneaking eggs in the nest, I set up a second nest box two days ago. Yesterday and today, I found an egg from my broody girl in the NEW nestbox -- apparently she got off her clutch, laid an egg over there, and then got back on her nest. What's up? Is this her way of telling me her clutch is closed and she doesn't want any more eggs added? Or should I put the egg under her with the rest? I know it's hers because she's my only green egg layer.

I have to admit I don't understand how she can be continuing to add eggs to her clutch still have them all hatch around the same time -- is the hatching going to last for several days? This is my first time with a broody so I'm a little unclear. Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom