Duck politics

slumpyducks

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
Last summer we acquired three ducks, all from the same batch of eggs, and next door also got two, so all five were related. Their beautiful boy was attacked a few weeks back by a fox that got in, in broad daylight. Sadly two weeks later he died in the night. So that leaves his sister all alone, calling to my lot over the wall all day.

So we offered to ducksit in the afternoons, and she's been here for the last three days.

Now my boy is a bit dopey and has never managed [to my knowledge] to mount the two girls successfully, but within two minutes of her being here, he was on her [boy did we cheer him on!] and I am now a bit concerned that she will oust our top duck from her spot, and wonder what the ramifications will be. My other girl is the one that seems most put out by it, she's happy to have a little peck as they pass each other but it's all pretty chilled really.

So will things all change or will Snuggles [not my name!] just slot into being the non-dominant female?

Well one night of what sounded like extreme passion Olympics later...this boy, who has not managed to stay on top of the two girls [he always rolls off at the crucial moment] has been climbing all over the new girl and staying on board long enough to do the dirty deed. I love that they are all so accepting of her with the odd random nudge or peck], after one afternoon here she went home and spent the next day quacking over the wall, so she's staying here now.

That's what I'm hoping. She's still "the other one", while they are "the three", but they seem happy enough.

Back
Top Bottom