duck pond filtration

No matter what if you filter it or not your going to have to do some water changes every year. I'm not saying the entire pond but 100 gal here and there. There is no Option unless you could have a little spring or creek flow in and make a outlet but usually that's not possible. Your bio load will be a lot with 5 ducks the pond is big but you can prob find a cheap and easy solution to this problem. This is part of the fun with these pooping machines lol

The best setup we have found so far is two 55gal drums. Pump feeds water into first barrel filled with lava rocks then flows in to second barrel filled with landscape fabric. Inlets to barrels enter top of barrels then pipe goes to bottom. Then add microbe-lift "only one we found that is not toxic to something" match start dose then almost double normal doses. We have 9 ducks and 2 geese water went from dark green to almost clear.

I have a five foot kiddy pool for five ducks. I have built a biofilter using a five gallon bucket, charcoal, sand and gravel. I filter through about fifteen gallons a day but... I am still smelling the pond and don't want the neighbors to call animal control. I don't have access to unlimited water so changing it every three days isn't practical. Am I just not filtering enough? Can I add something to the water to help the smell?

Last edited:
I too have been trying to construct a pond filter. So far a gravity siphon to a lower sump is working to remove many of the solids but my attempts at a bio filter have been unsuccessful. Most youtube videos on bio filters for Koi ponds say you have to "prime it" with beneficial bacteria (to help digest the bad stuff) is this what you refer to as "microbe-lift". Is it a brand name?

Thanks

I was struggling with filtering the water for my two duck's pond. No big matter going into filters but a lot of tiny feathers and other particulars. I tried several different ideas and the filters could not keep up with the flow. So finally I put fabric window screen directly under the intake tube to collect the larger particulars. It finally works. Now I change the fabric screen out putting in a cleaned piece and that challenge is solved. I finally put in an overflow tube which I needed to do from day one as the filters would clog and overflow would go outside the pond. It has been a series of trials and errors but it has taught me what does not work and finally what does. I enjoy my ducks and love their zany personalities. Questions and responses in these forums have been great, thank you.

@Vincible1 that is the product we used it worked well we are now experimenting with other beneficial bacteria. If you google microbe-lift that is the name across the front of bottle. Other brands made for large ponds and lakes are what we are trying out now.

Look up"Skippy filter" on the internet. Never needs cleaning. You'll have to purchase beneficial bacteria which you can purchase from the Skippy company and elsewhere. Don't use lava rocks. Seriously, go look it up. Simple to build. Just build it large enough for your pond size.

@Cherib603 I have never seen or read anything saying don't use lava rocks in a container. They should not be used in a open area where it cut ducks feet. So if you have a source of info please share. I did search for info on why not to use lava rocks. Only thing not to do is have in open area where it could cut things.

Back
Top Bottom