Duck pond? Mallards?

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
So....... I want to make a duck pond mainly for Mallards, but other ducks too. Maybe even Geese? So there's a LOT I wanna know, I'll start with this; is there a way to raise mallard ducklings to survive on there own, without human help? I'm ok with feeding them, but am hoping that there's a way to raise them wild. I know that if " wild they would probably migrate. ( definitely migrate.) is there a place where people raise Mallards to fend for themselves? Now on to the more pondy questions...
So I have this marsh thing, I think it may have once been a pond that got over grown with weeds. If I clear the weeds maybe make it a little bigger and deeper, could it become a sustainable pond? Would I have to hire a bulldozer? Would I have to seel it with clay or is it sustainable without clay? It holds water all year. Now some more duck questions....
How do wild flocks of Mallards deal with to many drakes? Do the females just get over mated? Should I just add more ducks if to many drakes are hatched? I don't want to cull or eat any drakes or ducks of mine.( not a vegetarian) so does it just even it's self out? If there is a flock living at the pond will another migrating flock not come? Do ducks come back to the same pond every year? Would they come back to my pond if they were raised there?

I know these are a lot of questions and I probably have more:)

no, the ducks can not survive on their own. if they weren’t born in the wild they are not wild ducks. even if you try to raise them wild, they are still domestic ducks. same thing with geese. they’ll need a predator proof coop for nighttime, and will need to be cared for during winter as well...

Do you have any pics of this marsh thing you called it. Pictures are always a big help for receiving more input on projects. :) How much land do you have to work with for this pond you would like?

Back
Top Bottom