Duck Pond/pool pictures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sianara, Apr 4, 2010.

1. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I'm in the process of extending my ducks run and would love to see pictures of peoples homemade pool/ponds.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
  3. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Here A picture of my pond I built for my ducks and swans. The palms only made it one season the swans ate them.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:That's a nice little pond! How do you keep it clean? I have a kiddie pool and have to dump it every day b/c the ducks make such a mess in it!

1 person likes this.
  5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They are both gorgeous... Wish I owned my own place and could do something like that.

Lovely swans BTW.....

6. DMFarm

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    It has a skimmer that has filters and also a water fall box that has filters in it. I had to put A UV light to keep the water clear. I drain it once of twice a year.

1 person likes this.
  7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Wow, beautiful ponds, both of you! My ducks will be envious if they see this thread--they get storage tubs for their ponds! [​IMG] To be fair, though, they DO enjoy their storage tub ponds. [​IMG]

8. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Both pictures are great.

chickensioux, is that a kiddie pool? I love the set up, it looks very neat. I'm assuming it's a kiddie pool and you dump it daily?

DMFarm, what is the filter system you use? What are overall pond dimensions with depth? Gallons used? Wow, you only drain it twice a year?

In the past I've shied away from getting into a filtering system because I have only read negative feedback on using filters with waterfowl but I'd really like to build one around 7' x 7' and finding an appropriate filtering system would be great so I wouldn't have to drain it as much. Am VERY interested in the detail of the filtering system (can you tell? [​IMG] )

I've got 3 ducks now but have several coming from Metzers in a few weeks so I need something that can support 6-10 ducks (all light breeds).

9. DMFarm

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    I bought a pond kit off the internet. The pond is 12x19 and 2 ft deep and hold around 3500 gal. of water. The skimmer is a power flo 5000 the waterfall is a power falls 5000 and the uv light is a uv power clear max 5000 they are made by laguna. It has a pump in the skimmer box that pumps the water to the uv and water fall. I have to clean the feather out of the skimmer basket ever week when the birds are molting. You can go to laguna webpage to see the filters http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/index.php

10. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are both great! I want to do something this summer, but not sure what yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by