Duck pools cleaning ideas

Jun 10, 2021
We have two ducks and a small blue plastic kiddie pool. Can anyone share their advice on changing the pool water out? The pool is in the corner of the run and I have been dumping it out but it's really to heavy to do that plus it pours water into the run which I'm not fond of bc it makes a muddy mess for my chickens. I'm scared to drill a hole in the pool and plug it bc I'm afraid the pool is not strong enough for that and would crack or break. Siphoning seems like a good idea but I don't know what would work best to do that. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!!

I use kiddy pools too. My smallest I use a bucket and bail it out my large one I start the water running in the pool with the hose laying on the bottom, Once it's running good I turn off the hose unsecrew from the faucet and lay the hose on the ground away from the pool so the water drains away from the pool.

I use kiddy pools too. My smallest I use a bucket and bail it out my large one I start the water running in the pool with the hose laying on the bottom, Once it's running good I turn off the hose unsecrew from the faucet and lay the hose on the ground away from the pool so the water drains away from the pool.
If my faucet is uphill from the pool will that still work or is gravity gonna mess me up?

I have a duck pond inside the coop. I tried many ways to clean and empty it. My most successful and easiest was getting a non-stop suction pond vacuum. (So vacuums turn off every few minutes to empty, hated that, so got the continuous vacuum)

I just plug it in, aim the water output hose in the direction away and turn it on to vacuum away! So easy.

I have a duck pond inside the coop. I tried many ways to clean and empty it. My most successful and easiest was getting a non-stop suction pond vacuum. (So vacuums turn off every few minutes to empty, hated that, so got the continuous vacuum)

I just plug it in, aim the water output hose in the direction away and turn it on to vacuum away! So easy.
Where did you get it and how much if you don't mind me asking?

We have two ducks and a small blue plastic kiddie pool. Can anyone share their advice on changing the pool water out? The pool is in the corner of the run and I have been dumping it out but it's really to heavy to do that plus it pours water into the run which I'm not fond of bc it makes a muddy mess for my chickens. I'm scared to drill a hole in the pool and plug it bc I'm afraid the pool is not strong enough for that and would crack or break. Siphoning seems like a good idea but I don't know what would work best to do that. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!!
I have a plastic kiddie pool in my duck enclosure and I was scared to make a hole too (to add a drain) BUT dumping out the water in the enclosure every day was making the enclosure stink to high heaven.

Here's how I did it: I bought a bulkhead drain and a hose shut-off valve. I then measured about an inch up from the bottom of the pool and drew a circle around the bulkhead drain to get the size. Then I used a sharp paring knife to cut the hole a little smaller than the size of the drain. It wasn't too hard, just go slow. It didn't crack at all and then was really easy to put the drain in, attach the shut off valve, and add a hose. If you choose to go this route, I strongly recommend adding some sort of filter (like a kitchen sink drain filter) because mine keeps getting clogged up with feathers and other muck from the pond. I am actually going to try to add a filter today to see if that helps. The other small downside is that where I put the drain was a little too high, so it doesn't all drain out over night but I just have a little bit left that I have to tip out so that's not a big deal to me. I also referenced this video and found it really helpful:

Back
Top Bottom