Duck pools cleaning ideas

I use an aquarium siphon pump. Takes maybe 10 minutes to drain the kiddie pool. I turn it on and go inside to eat then come back, rinse out the poop on the bottom of the kiddie pool, and then fill it back up!
E656BEBE-8C31-461B-9792-59BA752B76C7.png

I tried using my aquarium siphon hose (Python) but the hose diameter is too small & it kept getting clogged. I ran the hose downhill, but it didn't drain no where as fast as my aquarium does. Maybe if I didn't try to vacuum the bottom & just focused on removing water it might work better.

I'm going to try either my old Quick Set pool filter or I have a canister aquarium filter to see how that works. The hoses are larger diameter.

I tried using my aquarium siphon hose (Python) but the hose diameter is too small & it kept getting clogged. I ran the hose downhill, but it didn't drain no where as fast as my aquarium does. Maybe if I didn't try to vacuum the bottom & just focused on removing water it might work better.

I'm going to try either my old Quick Set pool filter or I have a canister aquarium filter to see how that works. The hoses are larger diameter.

Well I tried to use my aquarium canister filter but for some reason wouldn't work to suck water. I maybe couldn't get primed or something. Didn't spend a lot of time messing with it as it was really hot & very humid.

I also tried my old Quick Set pool pump but it's been in storage for a while & I couldn't get the lid off to add water. I'll try it again another time whenever I can get the top off.

So resorted back to the Python aquarium siphon hose. I rubberbanded a mesh bag over the siphon tube to keep big debris out and just drained water rather than try to vacuum the bottom. It worked much better this time but still took longer than my aquarium because the pool is so low & aquarium is much higher. Gravity makes it flow faster. It still took probably an hour but the pool was really really dirty.

My pool is sunk into the ground some (didn't think I'd have problem draining it using my aquarium hose) so I can't drain most of water & then tip it up to get rest out. It's 12" high kiddie pool.

Amazon has couple aquarium/pond pumps that have flow rates of 400gph for like $11. I may get one of those to drain it. My pump is only 158gph so 75gal water would still take at least 30 mins. Plus it can't drain it all the way because of needing to keep water level above the intake. The ones I'm looking at on Amazon draw water from the bottom & one can be used in as little as 3/4" of water & has low water shutoff if it gets too hot while water is too low. If anyone is interested this is one of the pumps I'm considering: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8RVZ1...olid=2GBG3RYUOW678&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We got a pool on Amazon that's been absolutely great for us. It's easy-to-clean vinyl that's thick enough for animals' claws. It has a drain & the one I got has an attachment to connect a hose to the drain (not all of them have that). It's foldable which has been really useful for us. I can fold one side down for a quick flush. In between total cleanings, I open the drain & put the hose jet spray on the opposite side to filter the water out. With 2 ducks i only have to clean 1x week. Longer if I flush or filter it daily. Definitely easier than the plastic pools. No bending over the whole time & lifting to dump.
The only con we've had is the area we have ours is on a slope so one side is slightly stretched. It's holding up really well & there's been no issues with tears, etc. We did put a chain of bungee cords around it for extra support. Ozzie & Trigger definitely test its strength when they're zooming around in it.
They're on Amazon for $16+ depending on the size you want. This is the one I ordered with the hose attachment.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZXLGFYW/ref=dp_iou_view_product_mobile?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are covers available also. Easy to put on for one person & helps keep the water temp cooler. We're in the south so the water was getting really hot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0922R35LP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
And I just ordered some reusable scum sponges. They're supposed to help soak up oils, scum, etc. Can't testify how well they work, but the reviews were really good. So we'll see 🤞🏻.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XTZGXDP?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
I also found this inexpensive vacuum on Amazon for $16 that might help for some. It just uses water pressure from the hose so no filtration or electricity needed. I haven't decided if I'm going to go that far yet since I have multiple ways to easily clean the pool. But it might be really good for those of you who are saying it's back breaking to clean your pools that are hard to move. The plastic pools were definitely a physical workout. Let me know how it does if anybody gets it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...8V7C7755KW&psc=1#immersive-view_1630085268106
Hope any of these are able to make this chore easier & save some backs. 😉

Attachments

• Animal Pool (1).jpg
    Animal Pool (1).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Pool Cover.jpg
    Pool Cover.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3
  • Scum Sponges.jpg
    Scum Sponges.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Pool Vacuum.jpg
    Pool Vacuum.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
It's easy-to-clean vinyl that's thick enough for animals' claws. It has a drain & the one I got has an attachment to connect a hose to the drain (not all of them have that). It's foldable which has been really useful for us.

I thought about getting one of those but wasn't sure how good it would hold up. If it gets a tear the insert will deteriorate quick. Muscovy's have really sharp claws.

I leave my pool & fountain out year round. I actually started using kiddie pool under my water fountain/bird bath because the birds splashed so much water out during summer I was having to fill it several times a day. So I put kiddie pool down & put fountain in the middle of it. Used fountain pump & tubing to run the water back up to the fountain from the pool. The pool allowed for lot more water, 26 gal I think but still had to fill it daily. I used it that way for probably 7 yrs. Couple times the pool totally froze over.

So decided to get bigger plastic kiddie the 59" diameter one which holds 75 gals so I wouldn't have to fill it daily. I was considering getting ducks at that time but wasn't sure so decided to sink it into the ground just in case. Not thinking how to empty/clean it other than using my aquarium hose.

I also found this inexpensive vacuum on Amazon for $16 that might help for some. It just uses water pressure from the hose so no filtration or electricity needed.

I've got that one & used it to clean my Intex Quick Set pool. Until I saw how much water it used to vacuum. 😲 I'm on "city" water, not a well so that gets expensive pretty quick.

I used my aquarium pump that I have in the pool now to drain it. It also took about an hour. I just don't know how many GPH it pumps. The other fountain pump I have only is 158 gph.

I also used my pool net to get lot of the debris out plus it keep the rest from settling on the bottom so it was able to clean it pretty good.

The big problem is my pump it needs about 2" of water to work. The one I'm thinking of buying draws from bottom & only needs 3/4".

I hope this pool holds up as long as my last one. I had cut my old, old pool liner that had too many holes in the blow up part to be usable & put that in the pool & over the sides so it might have helped protect the plastic some. I guess I'll see.

Thanks for all the info, ideas & especially links & pics. I'm sure lots of people will find it very useful. :thumbsup

I thought about getting one of those but wasn't sure how good it would hold up. If it gets a tear the insert will deteriorate quick. Muscovy's have really sharp claws.

I leave my pool & fountain out year round. I actually started using kiddie pool under my water fountain/bird bath because the birds splashed so much water out during summer I was having to fill it several times a day. So I put kiddie pool down & put fountain in the middle of it. Used fountain pump & tubing to run the water back up to the fountain from the pool. The pool allowed for lot more water, 26 gal I think but still had to fill it daily. I used it that way for probably 7 yrs. Couple times the pool totally froze over.

So decided to get bigger plastic kiddie the 59" diameter one which holds 75 gals so I wouldn't have to fill it daily. I was considering getting ducks at that time but wasn't sure so decided to sink it into the ground just in case. Not thinking how to empty/clean it other than using my aquarium hose.

I've got that one & used it to clean my Intex Quick Set pool. Until I saw how much water it used to vacuum. 😲 I'm on "city" water, not a well so that gets expensive pretty quick.

I used my aquarium pump that I have in the pool now to drain it. It also took about an hour. I just don't know how many GPH it pumps. The other fountain pump I have only is 158 gph.

I also used my pool net to get lot of the debris out plus it keep the rest from settling on the bottom so it was able to clean it pretty good.

The big problem is my pump it needs about 2" of water to work. The one I'm thinking of buying draws from bottom & only needs 3/4".

I hope this pool holds up as long as my last one. I had cut my old, old pool liner that had too many holes in the blow up part to be usable & put that in the pool & over the sides so it might have helped protect the plastic some. I guess I'll see.

Thanks for all the info, ideas & especially links & pics. I'm sure lots of people will find it very useful. :thumbsup

The bottom on the foldable pool has held up to the ducks and our 60 lb dog. We have to be able to move our pool if needed since our ducks don't have a designated area. They're not normal ducks. They would rather be inside. If it's hot they turn right back around to try to go inside. When we make them go outside for foraging/exercise they will quack at the door for hours if you let them. 🤦🏼‍♀️
I didn't even think about using the old blowup pool like that. We put thick plastic sheeting in our plastic kiddie pool that had holes & had bath mats on the bottom. Protected the bottom & they didn't slip around.
And thanks for letting me know about the vacuum! We're on city water also. Our bill has definitely gone up with having the ducks.
Hope the new pool works out for you!

Good to know about that foldable pool. I really did like that one when I saw it on Amazon. Just in case I decide to do something different.

That old pool liner was hard to get smoothed out. It's pretty stiff, so it didn't look the best but it did what I needed at the time on very limited budget. lol Using heavy plastic sheeting would've been to way to go I think. But that little pool had hole in bottom & it never leaked using that pool liner. :) That was before I had ducks & didn't have to worry about it getting dirty like it does now. I've found lots of uses for that old pool liner. lol

I'm like your ducks. I open back door & feel that heat & I want to turn around & go back inside. I can't handle the heat. Anything over 75 is so hot to be doing work outside. I need to get kiddie pool for myself. My bigger Quick Set pool is just to big & too much work keeping it clean. But boy was it nice to be out in working in yard & just jump in to cool off. Cloths & all. lol

This is what my water fountain/pool looked like one winter when it froze over. That fountain pump kept going until it froze the water in pool. It seems to help keep the water from freezing as quick though. It didn't stay real cold long so some hot water & sun melted it off the next day. But you can see in the front where I couldn't get the old liner smoothed out.

I'll get something worked out with new pool. I wouldn't mind it taking an hour if it wasn't 92 degrees with it feeling like 100 while I was working on it.

20160113_162043_HDR.jpg

Good to know about that foldable pool. I really did like that one when I saw it on Amazon. Just in case I decide to do something different.

That old pool liner was hard to get smoothed out. It's pretty stiff, so it didn't look the best but it did what I needed at the time on very limited budget. lol Using heavy plastic sheeting would've been to way to go I think. But that little pool had hole in bottom & it never leaked using that pool liner. :) That was before I had ducks & didn't have to worry about it getting dirty like it does now. I've found lots of uses for that old pool liner. lol

I'm like your ducks. I open back door & feel that heat & I want to turn around & go back inside. I can't handle the heat. Anything over 75 is so hot to be doing work outside. I need to get kiddie pool for myself. My bigger Quick Set pool is just to big & too much work keeping it clean. But boy was it nice to be out in working in yard & just jump in to cool off. Cloths & all. lol

This is what my water fountain/pool looked like one winter when it froze over. That fountain pump kept going until it froze the water in pool. It seems to help keep the water from freezing as quick though. It didn't stay real cold long so some hot water & sun melted it off the next day. But you can see in the front where I couldn't get the old liner smoothed out.

I'll get something worked out with new pool. I wouldn't mind it taking an hour if it wasn't 92 degrees with it feeling like 100 while I was working on it.

View attachment 2814833

Absolute same for me. I don't blame our ducks at all. 60°s are my happy temp. It's bad when you're doing something that involves water but still get overheated.
It's just not feasible for us to keep the ducks inside forever though. They're eventually going to have to go outside. So that's going to be a fun transition. Hopefully they'll adapt to the heat.

Amazon has couple aquarium/pond pumps that have flow rates of 400gph for like $11. I may get one of those to drain it. My pump is only 158gph so 75gal water would still take at least 30 mins. Plus it can't drain it all the way because of needing to keep water level above the intake. The ones I'm looking at on Amazon draw water from the bottom & one can be used in as little as 3/4" of water & has low water shutoff if it gets too hot while water is too low. If anyone is interested this is one of the pumps I'm considering: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8RVZ1...olid=2GBG3RYUOW678&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I know it's been little while but just wanted to update this post. I ended up buying this pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895Q5BDB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details for $8.99 with max flow rate of 660gpm. Came with 3 nozzles sizes & even the tubing. The only negative thing I can say about it is it doesn't have suction feet. But the way I run the tubing up to the fountain it keeps it in place. Another slight negative is the flow rate is only adjustable by using different size nozzle & tubing. No convenient slider to adjust it. But that wasn't a deal breaker for me and hasn't been a problem.

More importantly it does GREAT job of draining the pool. And as was claimed it did draw water down to about 3/4". It drained almost all 75 gallons of water in about 30 mins. Almost quicker than I could clean the scum off the walls of the pool. lol

My pool is purposely not quite level. I made it so water would be slightly deeper in the back in case the pool overflowed it would ran out the back to water the plants & also to enable max water drain I could. With this pump it did drain almost all the water.

I also use a pool net to not only get big debris out but to keep the water stirred up so all the dirty water it gets sucked out.

It's working out great so far. Now draining the pool doesn't seem so much of a chore. Plus it doesn't clog that easy, unlike my other pump. I'm very happy with it so far. It's well worth $9 bucks. :D

Only issue is I seem to clean the pool right when the ducks want to go in it. So they wait until I'm done & almost immediately go swimming & mess up the nice clean water. Last time I barely got the pool filled before they went in & got it dirty. lol Oh well, I love watching them swim & couple of them really enjoy the pool. Others will go in to bath but the 2 brown ducks just love being in the pool.

We have two ducks and a small blue plastic kiddie pool. Can anyone share their advice on changing the pool water out? The pool is in the corner of the run and I have been dumping it out but it's really to heavy to do that plus it pours water into the run which I'm not fond of bc it makes a muddy mess for my chickens. I'm scared to drill a hole in the pool and plug it bc I'm afraid the pool is not strong enough for that and would crack or break. Siphoning seems like a good idea but I don't know what would work best to do that. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!!
Well if you have to leave it there put a few plants or trees just outside the fence that will appreciate the drink. Do not dump out back in your pen... Or grab some sod and place it where you dump. It's been a struggle for us all. My yards a mud pit. I'm waiting for fall to recreate some spaces with plants.. Walkways.. And sod!! Good luck..I often have to rock mine too dump out because it's so heavy

Back
Top Bottom