1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CricketFarm, May 8, 2017.

1. CricketFarm

CricketFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Canada
    Hi all!
    This is my first year in ducks, i have a muscovy trio in a small pond eating duck pellets and one of my ducks was off and on broody and then the day before yesterday I found her half in half out of her hutch, i put her in for bed, assuming she was broody again, and she stayed in all the next day until night feeding. When she came out she couldnt stand on one of her legs. She can move it but struggles to put weight on it, she is isolated now. We think a sprain maybe? She is being constantly mated by the drake

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Keep an eye on her....Look at her foot for swelling...Possible bumble foot or a sprain...?

Yes, Drakes gets randy in the spring...:)

Best wishes...

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would separate the drake for a few days. Take a close look at her, see if you can get her in a tub of lukewarm water so you can see how she moves. Check her vent. It is a possibility she may be eggbound - that can cause lameness, too. I would put some vitamins and 200 mg of calcium in her water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by