Duck Problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbabyducks322, Jun 18, 2016.

1. newbabyducks322

newbabyducks322 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    California
    I am a new duck owner and I am worried over every little sign of a problem. My pekin duckling is making a noise with every breath and every peep she makes. I don't know what it could be and I am scared she is in trouble. My black swedish duckling also seems to open her mouth randomly looking- I don't know the words- not struggling but uncomfortable. They are eating the correct food and I am taking care of them just how everyone has written on about how to raise them correctly. I don't know what I should do about this problem.

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    How old are your ducklings? When you say the Pekin is making a noise with every breath, what kind of noise is it? How would you describe it? Also, are they both eating/drinking/pooping normally?

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    If you can post a video of their behaviors it might help us visualize what's going on. It could be so many things. Are they possibly getting too hot and maybe panting? How old are these ducklings?

4. newbabyducks322

May 31, 2016
    California
    They are about two weeks old. I cant get a video on here but it sounds like my pekin duckling is pushing out her noises. If I am holding her it also sounds like that with her breath too. My other duckling opens her mouth not to yawn but just opens it and I don't know what that could mean. They both eat and drink normally and their poop seems to be fine. It could be the heat since it has been very hot lately but I cant open my window to cool it down because of a recent fire. (The ash in the air isn't good to breath in) I don't know any other ways to cool them down besides putting some ice in their drinking water and I don't know if fixing the heat will change anything that is going on.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They can overheat, so I would consider putting some bottles of water in the freezer and then perhaps placing them in the brooder. I would keep a thermometer handy to monitor temperature. Ducklings two weeks old should be at about 80F.

Sometimes ducks will open their bills, and maybe crane their necks a little. Mine did that after bath time, and I think they were clearing their ears of water.

Are they able to wash their heads frequently to prevent ear, sinus and eye infection?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

6. newbabyducks322

May 31, 2016
    California
    I let them swim almost daily so I think they have enough water to clean themselves, and their drinking water is deep enough for them to wash their faces if needed. I think they might be overheating since the temperature here is more than 80F. I'll try freezing some water bottles, do you have any other suggestions on cooling ducklings down?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Run a mister on them and a fan. Ducks love shade and cooler temps. Try not to hold them when its the warmest time of the day. Keep a cool tub of water out for them to get into at all times if you can.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by