Duck quarantine concerns??

chlobie_elise

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2020
Backstory: I had two adult Pekins (about 6 months old) a hen and a drake. The hen died about 3 weeks ago very suddenly. My drake has been by himself a lot. And even though I spend most of my day out with him to keep him company, and he’s very happy and healthy, he needs a duck companion. So I’ve gone and purchased a Pekin hen approximately 4 months of age. And I’ve been told, and also read on numerous places that you should quarantine for at least 30 days. I’m just concerned about the duck that is in quarantine. We only have a pretty standard sized back yard, so I thought it may be necessary to quarantine the new duck in the garage. She’s been in here for 6 days now. We keep her in a large dog cage in the garage. we keep the garage open during the day, she gets plenty of sun light, also has a small pool to splash in, food and water. I spend one on one time with her while trying to keep a distance. But I hate seeing her in a cage and I don’t think she, nor I, could stand 30 days of that. Is there anything you all can suggest to make this easier on her, and for my lonely male on the back without potentially exposing them to one another irresponsibly? I also don’t wanna add stress to them because it’s just the two of them, and keeping them apart, but within sight of each other may make them more stressed or feel isolated? They currently are unaware of each other being here. Sorry for long post!

Im very sorry to hear that you lost your duck. Someone will be able to give you specifics about quarantine, I don't know anything about it. We did have a single girl duck for a while when her sister passed and she enjoyed having a mirror in the run to keep her company. She would talk to it and sleep next to it, cute and sad.
So if you do have to keep them separate for a bit that may help.

Im very sorry to hear that you lost your duck. Someone will be able to give you specifics about quarantine, I don't know anything about it. We did have a single girl duck for a while when her sister passed and she enjoyed having a mirror in the run to keep her company. She would talk to it and sleep next to it, cute and sad.
So if you do have to keep them separate for a bit that may help.
That’s actually and really interesting idea with the mirror! I may have to try that. Thank you :)

Quarantine considerations become less of a concern with waterfowl, compared to other species such as chickens, turkeys, or parrots, due to waterfowl high resistance to infectious diseases. Anecdotally, I have integrated over thirty ducks into my flock with no present problem. A thorough physical examination of the bird being integrated prior to unification would be suggested, so one can detect if the bird is suffering from any sort of preexisting ectoparasitic or bacterial infection/infestation that may transfer to the other bird.

Quarantine considerations become less of a concern with waterfowl, compared to other species such as chickens, turkeys, or parrots, due to waterfowl high resistance to infectious diseases. Anecdotally, I have integrated over thirty ducks into my flock with no present problem. A thorough physical examination of the bird being integrated prior to unification would be suggested, so one can detect if the bird is suffering from any sort of preexisting ectoparasitic or bacterial infection/infestation that may transfer to the other bird.
This would require you to be as good at examinations as Isaac O, if that were the case you would not be asking the question. Pretty much any duck book you pick up will recommend a 30 day quarantine.

Here is a link regarding performing physical examinations in backyard poultry.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

If you feel the bird may transfer something to your existing flock, by all means, quartine for thirty-days. Once again, my anecdotal accounts are that I've never quarantined any new waterfowl, and haven't had many problems. You will find a lot of people recommend it, but don't actually do it, because it's hard to set up such an area that will totally reduce the risk of these viral dieases.

When my mom got new ducks we quarantined for 2 weeks because they were kept in crowded conditions. They quarantined at my place because I have the room. There were also 2 together being quarantined so no one was lonely. There ended up being no issues with health.

I think it’s all a matter of risks vs benefit. It’s not really great for either duck to be alone since they are such social creatures. It would benefit your ducks not to be alone, is it worth the small risk that the female may pass something on? Only you can answer that.

Back
Top Bottom