Duck question - ducks that quit walking and standing...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by psimons2004, Jan 2, 2013.

1. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Duck question. I culled a peking last month because he quit walking. I thought maybe he had frostbitten his feet, but it went into a respiratory thing. It IS very cold here, but the ducks share the coop/barn with the chickens and it has 3 heat lamps, deep litter/bedding, and I close the door after dark each night. This morning I noticed both ducks I have left - runners - were doing weird things with their feet. Standing on one at a time and they kept laying down on their feet while they ate and drank... They are acting like their feet are cold but I almost wonder if it's some kind of disease or virus that is affecting them nuerologically... Any advice?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My ducks did the exact same thing when they came in contact with snow for the first time.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I see my ducks standing on one leg quite often doesn't look comfy to me but it must be to them. are you sure you need to be using heat? ducks have down and as long as they can get out of the wind and storms that come through shouldn't need a heat lamp, neither should chickens. when they get cold they lay down on their legs I have seen mine lay in the snow get up and the snow is melted underneath where they were laying.

some interesting reading.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Seems like their feet may be cold. What type of flooring do they have in the coop? At night make sure they have something to snuggle on, hay, straw, shavings etc. I've read that some put down hay or straw on the snow during the day. Like Miss Lydia said as long as they are able to get out of wind and storms they should be okay.

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I assume your location is Cheyenne, Wyo? If so, I'd bet it is too cold for them. I'm in Park City, Utah and my ducks are miserable right now. They can barely get from their coop to their outdoor shelter area in the day and can hardly stand on the snow. Poor things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by