duck question

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
our two ducks are four weeks old now and getting huge! And the poop, omg the poop! I am changing the litter almost twice a week and pooper scooping at least twice a day just to keep it looking descent(we are trying to sell our house and have people just show up to look at it.)

My question is can I withhold food at night to cut down on the amount? I know that they have to have water 24/7 so it would just be the feed. They will be moved outside in a week when their little coop is complete. Should I just heep doing what I am? Any advice?

Are they in a brooder indoors or are they outside? By about 4 weeks, keeping them in a brooder can become overwhelming.

It sounds like they need bigger quarters.

Since they are growing, I don't recommend taking their food away.

I do take food away from my grown ducks at night to keep rats out of the pen. It doesn't really seem to make much difference with how much cleaning needs to be done the next morning.

They are in a 4'x4' brooder inside. I've been putting them outside for an hour or two a day, but we are makinf them a seperate pin from the chicks and it's not done yet.

Since you said it doesn't seem to make a difference in the morning clean up, I'll just keep them were they are.

I may get some slack for this, but I put my pekins out at 2 1/2 weeks. They are doing great. You're in Texas, you shouldn't have any problems putting them outside. If you do continue to keep them indoors, they definately don't need a heat lamp anymore.

My first set of geese are about 10 days old now. They poop like dogs! Seriously. I put them out on the porch last night and do not plan to bring them back in unless we get freezing weather!

It is my understanding the ducks and geese tend to prefer cooler temps than the chicks. You should be fine to put them out in a secure pen all day long as long as the weather isn't bad. If you trust the pen to be predator secure you can leave them outside at night and use a heat lamp if it is too cool.

I left my geese out in a pen on the porch last night with a heat lamp and when my dd came in from work after midnight she said they were swimming and playing in the cold water and the not anywhere near the heat lamp.

They don't have a heat lamp on them. I would put them out, but their pen isn't ready yet and we have had some strang dogs wandering around lately so thats why they are still in the brooder.

whoops, pushed enter too soon.

I think I'll have to make dh work on the pen this weekend. Ds and I can make their coop and then the little poopy buggers can go outside to stay.

MP, I totally believe they poop like dogs, these ducks don't seem far behind!

Thanks for the replies, I appriciate it.

Back
Top Bottom